Author Topic: gearbox adjusting?  (Read 1849 times)

flyn A

• View Profile
gearbox adjusting?
« on: June 09, 2013, 09:44:30 AM »
Is there a way to adjust play in the steering gearbox on my henry j? Thanks, Andy

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: gearbox adjusting?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 11:59:23 AM »
Yes, it can be adjusted. First, remove the nut (it's actually a cap) and the star washer from the top of the steering box. That will expose a slotted screw. Tighten that screw to where it feels snug but not too tight. Then, turn it back 1/8 turn. Replace the washer and cap. That should help reduce play.

flyn A

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 12:40:09 PM »
Thank you for your response.  Andy

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 02:44:41 PM »
I was shown a slightly different way many years ago and it has worked for me. Tighten the screw 1/8
turn and then hold screw in that position with screwdriver and tighten lock nut. Drive car around the
block and check for play. Repeat this until steering feels slightly "snug" meaning that as you turn a
corner, the steering will return to center position with little or no effort. I just did this on my '51
Kaiser a few months ago and know that it is the same for other makes, not just KF products.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 07:44:38 PM »
On the big cars, you can also adjust the center link where it attaches to the frame. Turn that nut/bolt in one turn and it'll snug your steering too.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 12:32:47 PM »
JoeFrazer: Good idea. The first procedure mentioned removes play in the steering wheel by
adjusting the steering sector box and the second procedure adjusts for play in the steering
linkage. Both should be done.

retired wrench

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 01:30:19 PM »
I  would jack up the front end and adj. till I could feel a slight drag while passing the straight ahead position. This can best be felt by grasping a front wheel at 9 oclock and 3 and turning from side to side.