Author Topic: overdrive relay  (Read 5180 times)

bunghead

• View Profile
overdrive relay
« on: June 18, 2013, 10:05:55 PM »
Good evening everyone. I'm new here and have a dilema. A friend has enlisted my help with his '51 Manhattan. It needs a lot of TLC not the least of which is that it's missing the overdrive relay and the relay harness is a disaster. I can make up a new harness but the relay is another matter. Is there  a source for a Kaiser relay that uses the plug connector? Do I need to keep an eye on Ebay, Hemmings, etc. for a used one that is good or rebuildable? Anyone out there have one they would be willing to part with? I would imagine I could use a Studebaker relay and make the harness sans plug. New ones are available for about $100 but I'd like to keep it stock and correct if possible. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.
Bryan

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: overdrive relay
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 11:58:09 PM »
Just so you know, there were no '51 Kaiser Manhattans. Kaiser did not adopt the 'Manhattan' moniker till 1952 when the Frazer was dropped.  If the car is a '51 Kaiser and needs the relay with plug connector on it, there are vendors in the club that sell them. Also there is member in the club who reproduces the wire harness.   You have to be very careful when doing the wiring in the OD circuit as some wires are 14 gauge, some 16 and some 12. It is very important that wires requiring 12 gauge wire are using 12 gauge wire.
All '51 - '55 Kaisers used the same relay and harness if that helps.
The Studebaker, Willys, Nash and Hudson (and probably some others) relays without the plug pins are the same electrically and will work fine. They just need to be connected properly with eye terminals as you point out.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 08:49:43 AM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 06:44:29 AM »
If the car is a 1951 FRAZER Manhattan, it may use the older type K-F overdrive relay that had screw terminals instead of the plug.  Check the 1949-50 parts book for info on this as it has illustrations.  The 1951 Frazer non-illustrated parts manual should list the same part number as the 1949-50 book.

If the car is a Kaiser Manhattan, we need door post serial number.  As it was correctly pointed out, there was no 1951 Kaiser Manhattan.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 01:59:32 PM »
Hudson and Studebaker used very similar relays. Just look for a 6V unit with a 4 post connector. They are not uncommon...but are also not inexpensive.

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 08:33:27 PM »
This is the O.D. relay on my last Henry J.Not Kosher! This car was owned by Bob McBride when he made his first HJ wiring harness and this is it.He evidently did not want to spring for the proper parts and the harness was made just for this relay. looks prime and proper.
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

bunghead

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 09:51:11 PM »
Thanks to everyone for your responses. I assumed the car was a Manhattan due to the body style. I'm quite ignorant on matters Kaiser but I'm learning quite a bit. I'm really a Model T Ford guy. Kaisers are a bit on the modern side but they sure are neat cars and I'm enjoying working on this one! I appreciate the advice on wire gauge. I figured on duplicating the harness with the same gauge that it currently has. It definitely needs the four prong relay as it still has the original harness with the four prong plug. I did acquire a newly manufactured Studebaker relay (you're right joefrazer, not inexpensive) but would prefer to use a stock relay. Thanks for your offer, Corsairdeluxe, I'll respond to you by email.

Bryan

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 07:49:59 PM »
I have one for sale.  Think it may be NOS (not in box) but I have no way to test it to see if its working.   :-[

Mike
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 10:00:46 PM »
Mike, a quick test is to take a 9 volt radio battery and touch it across the rear terminal and the terminal to the left of it (as you're looking at it from the front). It should click. If it does, it's likely good.

You can double click the attachment below, called MOV03182.MPG, and see a video of this.

PS - It doesn't matter which way  the battery terminals touch ( + or - ) just so they touch those two terminals.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 10:08:05 PM by Fid »
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 10:19:56 PM »
Thanks Lowell!  Yes, I tested it and it clicks!!   ;D
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 11:16:14 PM »
Cool! The full test is to connect a continuity tester across the other two terminals, then click it with the battery. When it clicks, the tester should show continuity or read a resistance very close to 0.  Since most people don't have a continuity tester, and in most cases the click is adequate I don't always elaborate on that. One thing you can do is ensure there is no corrosion in the fuse holder. If it looks corroded, remove the fuse and clean the socket/holder good. It's likely good with the click test though.
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 11:21:41 PM »
I also recommend prying the tabs loose on the can cover and then remove the can. This will
expose the contacts for cleaning with emery sandpaper and allow for good conduction.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 03:04:47 PM »
Here's the circuit, complete with wire gauge sizes:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 09:04:35 PM by Fid »
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe