Author Topic: Let's talk tires...  (Read 11365 times)

Weaz

• Specials RULE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Let's talk tires...
« on: May 06, 2009, 08:55:35 PM »
I was recently reminded that my tires are about old enough to vote, so I have to start looking for the next set. I need your opinions on what to shoot for.

670-15 bias plys or 205 75 15 radials. Wide whites or black. Coker or Diamondback Classics. Personally I am not sure radials sit right with me. I've got Sears bias ply tires now. I like the looks of the white walls on the Special. I'm not sure what was original equipment. I've seen the black side walls on some Kaisers, so I'm not completely against them. What do you think about it from a purely aesthetic standpoint. Might save some dough going the black route...

I've got a case of too much information and not enough cash in my wallet.  :(

Point me in the right direction, please.

Artistic rendering of white Vs. black side walls:

KFOCI #9798

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Let's talk tires...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 11:27:07 PM »
Generally I'm a fan of whitewalls, but looking at these side by side I think the blackwalls look darn good on that Special!  I prefer bias-ply 1) because they are original equipment and 2) they look better.  I love the look of bias-ply tires.  Radials just look too modern for me.

Weaz

• Specials RULE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 06:10:35 AM »
I'm not too keen on the whole idea of getting new rims for radials either.
KFOCI #9798

Orphanauto

• View Profile
    • www.orphanauto.webs.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 07:50:50 AM »
I've been thinkng of getting new tires too, and my wallet must be a family member of yours as it's on the broke side too, haha, I'm not sure on tires yet either so I am watching this post with interest. My tires are over 20 years old, but look new, becuase it sit for years, I only drive on weekends, in my small 1300 population town, so I may not get any for awhile, Having said that, I actually responded to vote the white walls look much better, you have a great looking Kaiser. Hope to see it in person someday, and meet you.. take care....
1953 Kaiser Manhattan 4-door

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 06:32:32 PM »
You can get the original Goodyear 6:70x 15 blackwalls or 4 1/4" whitewalls from Lucas Tire in Long Beach CA.  They run about $500 for a set but I have them on my '51 and they look great.  It killed me to pay almost the same price for blackwalls on my Graham Paige Frazer but they did not have whitewalls in 1946 or early 1947.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Weaz

• Specials RULE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 07:27:29 PM »
Thanks, Gordie. I hadn't found Lucas yet.
Their price list puts a set near $700. Can I get a discount if I tell them that Gordie sent me?  ;)
I requested a catalog.
KFOCI #9798

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 08:48:32 PM »
I just noticed your street sign--that's great!  Is that real or did you doctor it up?

Weaz

• Specials RULE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 08:53:57 PM »
Fid took that photo when he was going to sell 'ol Lasagna. Right before she was offered up to me...

*choir of angels*

...and my life was changed forever.
KFOCI #9798

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 09:36:33 PM »
Weaz, just went through the same thing last Fall.  My tires were about 18 years old, WWW, but were cracking on the inside (as I found out after I had them removed).  They were "Allstate" brand!!  Hey, didn't Allstate make the Henry J (LOL)???

I bought my 6.70x15"'s from Kelsey Tire and the set ran me $643.66 delivered to my door.  I bought them from Kelsey because they had the correct 2&11/16" WWW, raised white letters Goodyear Classic Silvertown...they were the standard, correct tires KW used on the 54.  I'd do it again in a heartbeat.  They look great and ride just fine.  I get a number of compliments on them, too.  The car came with bias ply, not radials.  Not that I have anything against the folks who run radials, its just that I'm a purist.  I want my car to be as correct as possible as it came out of Toledo.

Mike
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

Weaz

• Specials RULE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 05:57:18 AM »
Another good lead. Thanks Mike!

Looks like I'm gonna have to get creative and conjure up some funds. Anyone in the market or know anyone that would be interested in my prized rear Dana 44 Jeep Cherokee XJ axle? Put it on craigslist. I'll have to sell some Kaiser stuff on eBay as well.
KFOCI #9798

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 12:25:41 PM »
My two year old Lucas Tire price list shows Goodyear 6:70X15 4 1/4" whitewalls at $140.00 each.  I guess that they have gone up some and shipping probably adds another $100 to a set.  I decided I wanted Michelin radial tires on my '65 Mustang and they had been on the car several years when I threw the tread on two of the tires with such force that it put a large dent on the top of my fender, wiped out the lettering on the side of the fender and broke off the parking light.  I will never again use Michelin tires!
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Weaz

• Specials RULE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 07:42:22 PM »
Yikes! I don't want that to happen.

My tires haven't been out in the heat or elements. She's always been stored inside. I'm sure I'll be fine for the season. I just need to get the ball rolling and do my research.

Maybe I could sell a kidney...
KFOCI #9798

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 10:39:13 AM »
I went with Coker WW radials because I drive my car.  I haven't got anything that will pull it and don't plan on getting anything. My 51 runs much better with them than with bias ply.  I've been very happy with my choice even though the set of five was $1005.00 delivered. Some have said here that you have to change the rims or at least watch for cracking of the rims due to the radials.  I have yet to discover why that would be the case over bias plies.  Is it because of the additional stresses caused by the more aggressive driving feel possible with the radials?  Maybe its an old wives tale told so often that it has become accepted fact.  I'm totally open to either answer because most of our club has vastly more experience in the cars than I do.  So far, I haven't had any problems with them.  I've also heard of a problem with the Cokers in that they blow out or maybe the tread separates like what happened to gordie's '65 Mustang. I would love to get some answers on this too. 
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 12:55:58 PM »
I think the part of Weas' question, that has not been answered, is "what modern, inexpensive tire would work on the Kaiser?"  I had a '48 Frazer and I used a G78-15 on it. No, it did not look original or authentic but the car was driven daily and they worked fine for that.  So the question that hasn't been answered is size, modern tire, would work best a '51 Kaiser?  G78-15? H78-15?
I'd like to know myself so if anyone has any input on that please chime in.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Weaz

• Specials RULE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 08:08:16 PM »
I think F78-15s are the correct size. They are equal to 670-15s. There seem to be more G78-15 choices.

Looks like most searches for G78s are pointing to Coker. They are a bit cheaper than the 670-15s, but if I am to put Cokers on it could only be done with the blessing of the previous owner. I know he has a definite opinion about Coker tires.
KFOCI #9798