Author Topic: Is this '54 Manhattan ad true?  (Read 1888 times)

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Is this '54 Manhattan ad true?
« on: September 10, 2013, 08:41:00 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other-Makes-Kaiser-Manhatten-chrome-and-stainless-1954-kaiser-manhatten-/261283760054?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3cd5b9c7b6&vxp=mtr

Read the reason stated for why the windshield was heart shaped.  Didn't Darrin design that? Ad says Kaiser did. I heard the same thing stated as to why Darrin designed it but never any proof.  Has anyone else heard this?
It still amazes me how many sellers cannot spell 'Manhattan' right despite the fact that it is written right on the fender of the car.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 08:57:12 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

porsche1914

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is this '54 Manhattan ad true?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 09:03:14 AM »
I had always heard it was Dutch, never heard the story about it being Henry J himself.
Don
1951 Henry J Deluxe

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 10:42:09 AM »
The "dip" on the windshield shape was a Howard Darrin design feature that was first seen in the 1951 Kaisers (check the window line at the top; the dip is at the center bar area of the 2-piece windshield).  Henry's wife Bess died in early calendar 1951 and he married Ale soon afterwards (Ale was one of Bess' nurses in her last weeks).  Henry had nothing to do with it other than he was one of the Executive Committee members who approved the design for production in 1948 when the styling competition for the 1950 models (which were pushed out to become early release 1951 model year cars) took place.

However, you can thank Ale for the Kaiser-Darrin.  Henry was pitched the car by Darrin.  He wasn't that keen on putting resources into a sports car, but Ale Henry she would like to have one and that others probably would want one too.   

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 10:56:48 AM »
I emailed the seller and stated that his ad was "cute" but not based upon facts that indeed heart shaped items were a signature of Dutch.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 10:38:47 PM »
Ah, I noticed the trusty brick in front of the tire in case the parking brake wasn't adjusted
correctly. Those were the days.

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 09:34:01 AM »
Poor guy with this ad - All us anal Kaiser nuts gave him a what for on his incorrect story.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.