Author Topic: 51-55K Fuel Tank Sender Ohms?  (Read 3417 times)

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
51-55K Fuel Tank Sender Ohms?
« on: August 20, 2009, 11:33:49 PM »
Does anyone know the correct ohms reading range for the King Seeley fuel tank sender unit #44504 that was used in the 51-55 Kaisers?  I have an NOS sender (spare) for my car but am getting some crazy ohms readings and suspect there's something wrong with the sender.  Thanks in advance for help or advice!
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 51-55K Fuel Tank Sender Ohms?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 12:47:32 AM »
I have the unit out of my car so checked it with the VOM-got goofy readings too. Been sitting for decades, and I expect the pot gets corroded and so as one moves it it gets jumpy. One can reduce this to a degree by "polishing" it, moving back and forth repeatedly. The best way to check is a la the shop manual (under gauges and instruments,) by inserting it between instrument voltage and the gas gauge and checking over a full swing. VOM's run on low voltage, and will seem more erratic than the gauge, which operates on 5 or so. A last resort is to take the cover off the pot and clean it up. NOS doesn't count with electrical components that corrode.

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 11:33:36 PM »
Became annoyed with the erratic readings on my sender, so took the cover off (bend the three tabs back.) Was visible corrosion on the winding. Cleaned it with crocus cloth, and now it seems to swing from about an ohm to zilch as one moves the arm. Should clean the rider as well, but that is a bit touchy and haven't figured out the best way yet.

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 10:34:45 PM »
The information I have is that it's 50 ohms empty and 12 full.  If you find that the guage reads not quite full, bend the rod accordingly. 

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 08:05:18 PM »
Good input guys...keep it coming! :)
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:

Garage Philosopher

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 09:25:59 AM »
Another method of testing your fuel sender is placing it in circuit of a 6v test light. The light should change from bright to dim or off with no flash, flicker or drop-out.

For cleaning the windings and wiper, I prefer a pencil eraser. Takes time and you must be careful, but doesn't leave any solids or conductive bits.

On my '54, the failed fuel gauge was caused by the float having rotted enough to fill with fuel.

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 02:13:22 PM »
What is crocus cloth ???   I'd like to take it apart and clean the contacts if possible. 
I'm having the gas tank done now so I'm trying to test the unit.   I got crazy readings from the ohm meter as well.     
Does anyone know of an aftermarket replacement for the king seely unit?

When I get the tank back and install everything I'm going to make sure I have access to the sending unit by cutting the hole in the trunk floor.   There's a round dome part that sticks up in the trunk floor and I believe the factory used to have a removable lid there on some cars.     Has anyone else cut out this piece in the trunk?    thanks,  Jim 

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 06:05:12 PM »
Jim, call Larry Barker in AZ, he sells a replacement sending unit that I've heard works great, $85 I think.  Tell him Mike Fleming sent you.  602.373.1456
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:

montefrazer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 06:45:28 PM »
 What is crocus cloth   
Definition: An iron-oxide coated abrasive cloth, used as a polishing agent after most of the work has been done with emery or aluminum oxide.

Like sand paper but with a cloth backing.