Poll

engine miss

kaiser
1 (100%)
manhattan
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: kaiser manhattan engine problems  (Read 1098 times)

bryan hilling

• View Profile
    • Email
kaiser manhattan engine problems
« on: January 02, 2014, 11:55:28 AM »
I posted about the miss in the engine I got really good feed back the number four cylinder had no compression fixed that the car ran really good for about a hour then it made a noise from inside the engine and started running bad a few seconds later it made the same noise and ran fine but it does it every few minutes I was told it might be a lifter can you guys please help I cant find parts anywhere for the car.i don't want to give up on the car but I know nothing about Kaiser I have read a lot my grandfather left me the car that's why I want to keep it

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: kaiser manhattan engine problems
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 12:42:18 PM »
If the noise you hear is a loud tap, then either the valve in question is still sticking sometimes, or you have a bad valve spring. Lifters rarely go bad and when they do, it usually causes cam failure and the engine will not run at all.

It could also be a bad valve guide.

There is an inspection cover behind the manifold that when removed will reveal the valve train. Remove it and start the engine and you should see the valves in action. Any issues should be visible.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 01:10:28 PM »
Various club members sell engine parts; they are easier to find than you think.  Check the FOR SALE ads in KFOCI MONTHLY BULLETIN for sources.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 03:48:02 PM »
Remove the passenger side front tire and you will see a sheet metal panel held with screws.
When this is removed, the engine access panel is easily seen and can be removed so you
can observe the valve action. Look for any broken springs. Someone could turn over the
engine manually (front pulley with a 1 1/8th nut) so you could watch it turn over slowly.

bryan hilling

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 05:21:28 PM »
thanks for all the replies I will try this weekend and keep everyone updated