Poll

valve guide replacement/windshied remove prossess

kaiser
1 (100%)
manhattan
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: 1952 kaiser bad valves  (Read 1791 times)

bryan hilling

• View Profile
    • Email
1952 kaiser bad valves
« on: January 06, 2014, 03:06:15 PM »
so I took the head off my Kaiser Manhattan all the exhaust valves where pitted and had rust on the stem .so I found the valves on eBay.and the gasket set.my question is should I replace the valve guides and what all should I replace while I'm already there.i thank everyone for all the helpful info you have gave me. also can anyone give me info on how to remove the windshield and where to get a new windshield gasket thanks

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: 1952 kaiser bad valves
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 04:56:33 PM »
If you haven't purchased the valves yet, you may want to check this out. KF used two different types of valves in their engines and how they are held in place does differ. The early style used a pin while the later ones used a pair of keepers that slid into a groove cut around the base of the valve. You want the later style.

Also, NAPA sells valves that use the latest materials. The intake valve is part nbr SEP V1203 and the exhaust is SEP V959. It would probably be a good idea to replace the valve springs as well. They're part nbr SEP VS310. The valves are about $15 each and the springs run $7 apiece.

About the guides, unless they're scored, I'd leave them in place. Removing and replacing them requires a tool unique to flat head engines and KF had a special tool to do the job. It's nbr KF-27 in this catalog -> http://www.circlekf.com/kflit/SM/kfsm550/kfsm55018.pdf

The windshield gasket is available from Rudy's KF parts at 760.789.3608. He's in California and it's best to try to reach him before noon pacific time.

bryan hilling

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 05:31:15 PM »
what tools are needed to remove windshield and I really appreciate all the info

montefrazer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 07:28:07 PM »
A sharp knife to remove. Cut the old gasket away from the glass and watch this video on installing a different one.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvcJ_lU_VpQ

bryan hilling

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 06:50:00 PM »
thank you