Author Topic: Turn Signal Installation  (Read 7067 times)

BigDave LM6174

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe & 1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
    • MSN Messenger - dball344@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Turn Signal Installation
« on: January 13, 2014, 02:55:57 AM »
 I am going to install turn signals in my 52 Henry J that has never had them.  Any suggestions on the best way to wire it?  Is there a metal tube or something that goes on steering column to hide the wires? 
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
1958 Lido 14 Sailboat W/Trailer
1958 Carry All Trailer

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Turn Signal Installation
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 06:21:06 PM »
Dave, there is a sheath that covers the wires on the HJ signal light kit. Here's the one in my blue J -

There is a "plug" you remove at the bottom where the molding goes around the column and the sheath sticks into it.
My '52 HJ Vagabond has Allstate signal lights in it. That kit has a plastic sheath in 2 pieces, I don't know if it's original or not. It appears to be -

And here's the one on Edgar's car

Not a great picture but it is one. My cars are put away for the winter and stored 25 miles from me so I can't get pics right now.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 06:40:56 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

BigDave LM6174

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 01:10:45 AM »
I guess the sheath is what i am going to need.  You state it is pastic?  What type of material can I use to make one?  I am thinking it is like u shaped and it goes against the steering column?
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1958 Carry All Trailer

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 10:33:40 AM »
I made one from a round inexpensive adjustable width curtain rod . It cuts and bends easily.

They come in all diameters and colors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Cafe-Curtain-Rod-28-48-Adjustable-Hardware-Included-/261373617801?pt=US_Curtain_Rods_and_Finials&hash=item3cdb14e689
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 10:39:44 AM by Corsairdeluxe »
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 10:45:12 AM »
The Henry J turn signal switch is the Guide 6004 which was also optional on the 1952 Chevrolet. You can search out the turn signal wiring diagram on Google for the chevy.
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 01:50:37 PM »
The Allstate sheath is plastic and two peices. The factory one is metal. It's tapered going down.  As Jim mentions, I've seen similar kits used on Chevys of the era. I'm not positive they have the sheath... it's worth checking ebay - you may find one.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 07:25:43 PM by Fid »
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 07:22:06 PM »
Here's the signal light switch that was used -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940s-1950s-1960s-Guide-6004-Car-Truck-Turn-Signal-Switch-Dodge-Ford-VINTAGE-/151206042265?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2334951a99&vxp=mtr

You'll need a heavy duty flasher in order to get the indicator light to flash.
Also, on the wiring diagrams you need to break into the brake light circuit. Don't cut any wires to do so! The J has a junction plug under the dash and all you have to do is disconnect it, plug one end of the signal light kit into each plug.  Unfortunately, I do not have a wiring diagram but I do know you have to tap into the brake lights so use the junction. The person who put the Allstate signal lights in my '52 J cut the wire out by the brake light switch and spliced it in. When I installed the new wire harness in the car it took me a bit to figure out what was done but when I did, I went back and tapped it into that junction where it makes sense. In fact, that's probably why the junction is there - to make signal light installation a little easier and cleaner.
Unfortunately, for all the pictures I took under the dash of my cars while doing wire harnesses etc. I can't find one that shows that junction plug. Anyway, you'll know it when you see it. It is shown on the HJ wiring diagram in the shop manual.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 10:43:58 PM by Fid »
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 11:31:02 AM »
First verify that you have 6 wires from the switch. If so, use this...

« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 12:51:55 PM by Corsairdeluxe »
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 11:39:26 AM »
Fid..You cannot see the flashing light on the switch unless you stare at it ... not safe. I ran a jumper with an inline  diode from the R & L turn signals to the oil pressure and generator indicator lights.Works great and I reccomend it to everyone(only you will know).
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 12:50:52 PM »
That link does not want to help thy this..
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 06:38:45 PM »
Jim, the way the indicator  always worked on mine was one dim flash when I first flipped the turn signal lever and then you couldn't see it despite the signal lights working. After installing a heavy duty flasher it flashes nice and bright... and steady. The heavy duty flasher is the way to go if you want the indicator to flash. As shown in the diagram  you posted, the third terminal on the flasher is what powers the indicator light. When that fellow here in Burnsville sold his J a couple of years ago, he gave me all his surplus parts (doing a little work for him paid off big time for me) and among them were some heavy duty flashers. Just for kicks I tried one and that was the cure for 40 years of not having an indicator light on my turn signals!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 07:27:45 PM by Fid »
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

BigDave LM6174

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 08:42:40 PM »
Fid, I found the spade junction that you are referring to under the dash that goes to brake light switch.  I am still figuring out the  wiring.  Looks like I will need to run one more wire to the taillights and two wires to the parking lenses.  I got to figure out getting wiring to the taillights.  Hate to remove headliner.

How does the wiring sheath stay on steering column??  Plastic ties or clips??????
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1958 Carry All Trailer

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 09:51:29 PM »
I'm not sure how the sheath stays on Dave and my cars aren't here to look at.  When we did the signal lights in my '53 we ran the wire to the rear lights through the firewall and under the car along the frame. When the person who installed them in my '52 Vagabond did it, he (or she lest I be chastised) ran it under the floor mat but that car has a folding rear seat - probably not a factor.
See if the middle figure on the attached diagram helps.  Unfortunately the text isn't clear because I can't get the cover down on my scanner (the 1955 Motors Manual is too thick).  This diagram is not in the shop manual.
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

BigDave LM6174

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Turn Signal Installation - FINALLY DONE
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 01:48:32 AM »
I finished this project today.  Very happy to share with you what we did.  Wife don't care so I need to share with somebody. 
We (my 8 year old too) removed front parking light wires from the car.  We replaced sockets with new inners we got at Napa.  The same sockets became double filament.  I still have parking lights and now have turn signals too.
On eBay, I found a turn signal wire cover and two clips that came from a 1955-1957 Dodge Power Wagon.  We bead blasted the cover and two clips and painted it to match my steering column.  We removed the plug cover in lower steering bracket mount.  We mounted the aftermarket switch, covered the wires, and then begin wiring.  I was expecting nightmare hooking it up, but all in all it took us three hours. 
The junction under the dash Fid mentions was perfect for brake light connection.  I ran a wire out the firewall and inside the box frame all the way to rear of car.  Up into the trunk by the spare tire well with a rubber grommet, and I found the second junction by the left rear taillight connection in the trunk.  The new wire ran to back of car was connected into that junction.

The new switch has the lighted tip on the lever.   I considered what Corsairdeluxe mentioned about using the trouble lights, but We stuck with the lighted tip option.
Only problem We ran into, We had been forewarned by FID.  I had a very weak light on the turn signal indicator.  Finally, The third flasher was a winner.  It flashes loud and the light is nice and bright.

Posting picture of the column with the new wire cover with two clips.  Came out great, and the indicator light is nice and bright.  Like Fid said, be sure to use Heavy duty flasher!
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1958 Carry All Trailer

ReggieFoote

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 08:11:50 AM »
Just a comment.....

When I bought my 1951 Henry J, it had what I see as original or near original turn signals. The problem being, is that the indicator lamp is on the bottom of the base so I find myself leaving the signal flashing as I can't see the light behind the steering wheel. I plan on changing to another type where the indicator light is more "visible".

Reggie