Author Topic: headlight switch for '53 Kaiser  (Read 4073 times)

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
headlight switch for '53 Kaiser
« on: July 09, 2009, 02:51:44 PM »
Does anyone know of an aftermarket headlight switch for the '53?   If not, can these be rebuilt?   I have several bad ones.   
The dash lights don't come on or are intermittent and not very bright.  The overall condition of the wiring under the dash is good.  No bare wires. 
Any suggestions?   thanks,   Jim

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: headlight switch for '53 Kaiser
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 08:49:39 PM »
There is no satisfactory replacement for the KF headlight switch. To cure the dash light issue, I jump a wire between the two posts that control the dash lights so that I have lighting when the switch is pulled.

54 Kaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 06:42:07 PM »
Check some of the other recent threads/posts jmxkf1.

The instrument lights are not very bright at the best of times. On my '54 they are either on or off. Even "on", you can't read the cluster. I took someone elses advice for now and carry a flashlight on the seat at night.

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 02:40:47 PM »
joefrazer,  Could you explain how to jump the wires to put a switch in please?  I'm not sure which two wires you're referring to.   thanks,  Jim

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 09:05:33 PM »
Hi, my dash lights are not working either.  Which wires do you jump?

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 01:16:26 AM »
Got my dash lights working and they are bright!  I just hotwired the two terminals that stick up on top of the light switch.  Assuming the light switch is still in the car you connect the terminal that is closest to the dashboard and on the right side (of the car), that has three (I think?) wires hooked to it, to the other terminal which looks just like it and is on the other (left) side of the switch, and farther away from the dash.  There are a number of other terminals: two that have threaded screws near back of the switch, i.e. farthest from the dash and two male terminals sticking up on the right side, a little closer to the dash.  Sorry this is kind of confusing, just trying to explain it in detail for others' benefit.  Ask questions if it's not clear.

By the way, while I was under there I noticed someone had unhooked the clock wire--probably because they weren't driving it very often and didn't want it to drain the battery.  Hooked it up and it works fine, as does the cig. lighter and cig. ligher light.  I think the only light that's not working now is the glove box light, and even it works if I give it a giggle!  Also, I have a cool green glow for the hydramatic selecter.  Fun to drive at night now!

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 03:13:39 PM »
I did it and my dash lights are bright!   Thanks Logan.   I should have figured this out before.  Drop the light switch from the dash and leave it connected so you can see the wires connected on the switch.  The service manual tells how to remove the knob.  The terminal on the right front of the switch is where the dash lights connect and should light up your test light when you pull out the switch to parking position.  Mine didn't.   On the left of the switch is a terminal where the power only comes on when you pull out to the parking light position.   Check this with your test light to verify.  Connect these two terminal with a short wire.   You now have dash lights.