Author Topic: My latest and last Henry J  (Read 1961 times)

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
My latest and last Henry J
« on: May 19, 2014, 04:01:42 PM »
At first I thought I would name it #9 ,but after a week of goimg over,I changed it to Lazrus.I paid $8,000 and I got $8 000 worth .I gave up trying to find a dream car at 14-15k.It'll take a couple of years diddling this one,but I like to do it anyway. Lots of surprises that I will relate, but nothing gut wrenching yet.

http://showyou.com/v/y-tKSM66j-NZs/1951-henry-j-used-cars-mankatominnesota-20131008
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: My latest and last Henry J
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 07:21:59 PM »
I like it. But, as you said, just enough work there to keep you occupied for a while. I agree, fairly bought...and fairly sold.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 08:40:43 PM »
Congrats Jim. I remember we discussed this car. It was 60 miles from me but I never went to look at it. It looked like a good workable example from my chair (and still does).  Let me know if I can do anything to help. I'll be in Wisconsin till Thurs but after that I'm around.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 09:40:57 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

BigDave LM6174

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe & 1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
    • MSN Messenger - dball344@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 12:36:11 AM »
Congrat Jim.  Can't wait to see some more pictures.

David
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
1958 Lido 14 Sailboat W/Trailer
1958 Carry All Trailer

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 12:02:05 PM »
Ive been going over it with "a fine tooth comb".
It needs it, finding things like the O.D. relay fuse was shorted with a piece of wire.It worked, but who knows if it has caused any damage. I have  removed the 8 volt battery and every cable that went with it .Installed new cables ,polished the grounds and used dielectric grease,waiting for a new fan belt to fire it up.
PUZZLER.The lower radiator hose was cobbled together and joined in the middle,well maybe. It looks like the lower hose was cut in the middle, a non flexible pipe inserted as far as [possible into each end and clamped.Could this be an attempt to stop the lower hose from collapsing due to vacuum.

Neither the radio or heater work.Probably that devil 8 volt system. I'll check out the rectifier and vibrator,if that does not fix it ,it's headed for Fid's

If the car was as good mechanically as it is cosmetically I'd be on easy street.

You can not see it clearly from the photo,but it has yet another Kaiser heater.I'v never see this one before. Once I put out all the fires.I'll make a better shot.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 12:10:21 PM by Corsairdeluxe »
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

ReggieFoote

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 12:12:35 PM »
One of the first items that was pointed out to me by a K-F Club member was that at least one of the battery cables were 12 volt and not the mandatory 6 volt which are larger in diameter. Who knew!!! A friend made new cables out of aircraft grade larger diameter wire and the "sluggish" cranking is now super-duper fast.

The lesson I learned from the 1951 Henry J I purchased was that pretty much everything the previous owner had worked on needed rebuild or replacement such as one of the generator brushes was install backwards, the carb needed rebuild, the aforementioned battery cables, wrong size tires, overdrive inop and the list goes on.

Reggie