Author Topic: hood springs  (Read 5457 times)

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
hood springs
« on: June 09, 2014, 07:57:22 PM »
   How the @#%$%&**^& do you install a Henry J hood spring ?
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: hood springs
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 08:31:58 PM »
KF had a special tool for replacing hood springs. I've attached a picture from the 47-48KF shop manual. I rigged one up using a bumper jack and some chain to replace the springs on my 50K.

Advice, put plenty of padding around the work area. If the spring gets loose, it'll go thru a windshield in a hurry. If I hadn't piled blankets over the driver side on the Traveler, I would have been replacing the glass.

Henry's HenryJs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 09:32:20 PM »
I used a ratchet strap to stretch and remove the springs, will do the opposite to install them. Henry.
2-51 HenryJ's, 57 wagon 408"BB with 14' Bonair travel trailer,71 Nova 355"SB, 07 2500HD with 26.5 Prowler 5th wheel travel trailer, CDN coordinator for ChevyTalk
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=h

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 10:41:45 PM »
I used a pole and piece of chain off from our swing set. Pull it way out and hook it up. You need a lot of leverage but when you get it on, it won't come off!  I did the same with the clutch pedal return spring.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 11:41:09 AM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

ohmdr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 01:31:08 AM »
I personally wouldn't recommend using a ratchet strap.  Even if the strap has the correct working load rating to hold the strength of the spring.

First, the spring already has a certain amount of tension on it... before you put the strap on it.
As you stretch it with the ratchet strap to remove it, you will add more tension to it.
Ratchet straps don't "un-ratchet" slowly... They release all of the tension at once... just like your garage door springs when they snap/break, or if you let go of the rods used to slowly unwind them.  You cannot control the release pressure when you need to loosen the strap.

If you look at the photo of the tool, already supplied, and are handy, you should be able to make you own.
Another option would be to find and buy or borrow one from someone.

As mentioned, anytime you are working with springs like this, make sure you put plenty of padding around the area and wear proper safety equipment (gloves, safety glasses, etc.

Safety first... we want to see both you and your car out and about, healthy and happy.  :)

ReggieFoote

• View Profile
    • Email
Hood Springs
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 07:18:16 AM »
After reading the postings on HOOD SPRINGS, I really wonder what they do???

On my 51 HJ, they don't seem to do anything. I have to lift up the heavy hood and prop a holding rod to hold up the hood. In fact, the "factory" rod on my car may have been shortened so it's useless.

I made a sturdy holding-up "thing" out of wood to keep the hood up as I want to display the open engine compartment at events and shows as I've spent a lot of time cleaning and detailing.

Are the springs suppose to do something beside making it harder to lift the hood??? Am I missing the point??

Reggie

ohmdr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 07:34:11 PM »
The springs serve two purposes.  First, they help hold the hood up when it is open.  The second is supposed to, in theory, help keep the hood closed while driving down the road, in the event that the hood latch (and safety) fail or aren't engaged.  Notice that I included "in theory." - I say this because the air pressure, per square inch, at highway speeds far exceeds the mechanical psi exerted on the hood by the springs, thus the hood will come up, and WILL slam back (farther than the hinges are supposed to go, and most likely will crack the windshield.  Even if it doesn't, the hood will bend and you can count on paint and/or body damage to the area around the cowl, windshield and roof.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 07:42:39 PM »
the hood will bend and you can count on paint and/or body damage to the area around the cowl, windshield and roof

That's pretty much standard on a Henry J!  I've only seen one J where the hood doesn't scrape the cowl and that's Edgar's. I don't know what they did to it but it doesn't rub anywhere.
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

ReggieFoote

• View Profile
    • Email
Hood Springs
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 12:57:43 PM »
I have the need to ask another "basic" question concerning the hood springs.

As I eluded to earlier. My HJ hood doesn't hold itself up. Is it suppose to??? The car has a hold-up rod that I feel may have been shortened as it's only about 18" tall/long. With this rod, one cannot get under the hood unless you're the size of a fat snake.

I made a "simple device" to hold the hood up at shows and events as I've detailed the engine compartment. Amazing what a piece of wood can do. I notched it at both ends so it won't move or slip from position and bring the heavy hood down and do personal damage. I painted it red and added yellow/black safety tape, so it doesn't look as bad as it sounds.

Back to my question: With the springs and hinges, does  the hood hold itself up (without aid) or must one use a hold-up rod or other to keep the hood up enough to work on the engine???

Thanks in advance. Even when you are 73 years old, sometimes the old car can renew questions answered in the 1950's but forgotten. I don't want to admit to a touch of senility, BUT......

Reggie

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 01:13:08 PM »
The Henry hood will not stay up on its own, it has a hood prop rod. Looks like this -

Here's whole row of Js with hoods propped up with factory prop. This was at the national in Auburn 10 years ago.

Mine is the 3rd from the left.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 01:43:30 PM by Fid »
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 02:38:04 PM »
Reggie
I'm a touch older than you and over the past 55 years I've worked on 9 Henry Js. I've solved most everything two or three times. I now find myself with a good solid car than needs a multitude of small things fixed.Things I have in the past fixed two or three times. To my amazement  I'm having to learn these fixes over again. the latest"WHAT THE HELL"discovery on my new J is screen wire over the radiator.Yup someone has placed a layer of screen wire completely covering the front side of the radiator. It is very well done.You have to look  to find it. I thought I had seen most everything.

Also some one has placed a piece of solid tubing inside the lower radiator hose. I presume to keep it from collapsing due to suction.
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

ReggieFoote

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 03:23:44 PM »
Many thanks...The photo says everything I need to know.

I see I need an original  hood prop-up rod. Obviously (now) someone shortened the one on my car.

Had no other HJ to compare to as Henry J's are absent in my area. In fact, only saw one 2 years ago at a major/large car show here in Venice, Florida. It was dark green and had no whitewalls like mine.

I enjoy taking whatever kind of car I have to events and shows to meet and talk to the spectators there. In fact, I was at a small car show this morning/afternoon (10 - 2) and my bright blue "SMURF" was a hit. I belong to the Venice Region of the AACA and this was one of the many we do that we are paid for. All of our clubs income is put towards college scholarships. More income, more $1,000.00 scholarships. We just gave out 7 at last weeks monthly meeting.

Reggie

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 04:30:46 PM »
From the photo, it looks like that would be pretty easy to duplicate with a piece of the proper diameter steel rod from the hardware store and a vise to make the bends- if you knew the exact dimensions.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 04:37:11 PM »
Yes, it would be very easy to make one. It's just 1/4" round iron stock, heat it and bend it!
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

ReggieFoote

• View Profile
    • Email
Hood Prop Rod
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 12:16:32 PM »
Being a wee bit dense, would someone tell me how the HOOD PROP ROD is attached at the bottom of my 1951 Henry J. Not the clip that's on the RIGHT side where the rod snaps in but whatever the rod is attached to on the LEFT side (looking forward) where it's connected and swings from there on the metal shield.

Reason is my prop rod has been butchered and relocated. I want to install a correct prop rod as stock.

Lastly, I have checked the 1951 Henry J Parts Book and it doesn't give a good graphic.

Thanks,

Reggie