Author Topic: Won't start  (Read 5826 times)

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
Re: Won't start
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2014, 05:34:59 PM »
Is the Key on?  Does 6 volts show up at the Coil before and during attempting to start?
A flaky wire from the ignition to the coil can do some spooky things.
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

msass

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2014, 05:44:24 PM »
It is a manual choke.

jap tin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2014, 06:15:08 PM »
Check compression. I had some gummed up sticking valves and it made it a bear to start. Replaced the valves, two were burnt, and it starts like a champ.

Vagabond Russ

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2014, 06:25:37 PM »
I replaced the solenoid and they cleaned up the starter and put new brushes in it. Now it really wants to go, it's even "coughed" a few times, but it just won't go. There is spark. I disconnected the fuel line at the carb and it sure seems like plenty of gas is coming out, so that leads me to believe that it is something in the carb. Is this a good assumption?

If you pour some gasoline down the vent tube in the air horn, close the choke and the engine tries to start but won't quite get going, try cleaning the points.  On cars that aren't used much, the points get dirty and produce a poor spark.  Pull a folded strip of 320 sandpaper through the points. Works for me. 

msass

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 09:49:59 PM »
After many trial and errors and testing. I think we have come to the conclusion that the spark is poor. We have sanded contact points and made sure the wires were OK. Would replacing the distributor and all of that fix the problem? That is kind of where we are headed next I guess.

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2014, 07:13:00 AM »
Is the spark orange or blue? If blue you may be looking in the wrong place. If orange and weak looking, I would replace the points , distributor cap and finally the coil  before replacing the distributor. Sanding the points produces a rougher surface than new ones and is just a temporary way to get going. Are the plugs new and gapped properly? Are the plug wires in good shape and do they have metal wire inside (rather than radio shielding type)?

Before electronic ignition came along, replacing the points, plugs, wires and distributor cap were the components of a standard tune up!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 07:18:18 AM by 51Deluxe »

msass

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 09:02:49 AM »
Thanks. Planning on replacing that stuff. Would my local NAPA have all of that?

MilesP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 09:08:15 AM »
Have you replaced the small wire In the distributor I fought this sane trouble on my 51 it solved my problem

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2014, 03:26:04 PM »
Not sure what the "small wire" is but you just reminded me of a part I haven't thought of in 30 years- the condenser. Should be replaced along with points. Doubtful NAPA will have them all these days but maybe they can order them in.

MilesP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2014, 04:49:29 PM »
The small wire on the 51 distributor is a ground wire they runs from the outside case to a ground inside, mine frayed in two there are two connections one is for the condenser the other is the one I  refer to put a volt meter on it to see it it is open