Author Topic: 1956 Darrin Sports Car - Cadillac Engine  (Read 2703 times)

Geoff Hacker

• View Profile
    • Email
1956 Darrin Sports Car - Cadillac Engine
« on: August 16, 2014, 10:46:31 AM »
Hi Guys (and gals...)

Good friend Bob Dayton mentioned that there was a discussion about Cadillac engines and the Darrin sports car here in the Forum.  I'm happy to contribute two issues concerning the research I've done on this topic for our website "Forgotten Fiberglass." 

1: In speaking with Patrick and Bob Darrin (both sons of Dutch), they confirm that very very few were built or offered this Cadillac engine when their father took the car(s) back in the mid 50s from Kaiser.  In fact, Patrick shared two things.....1: My father never had the resources to buy back more than just a handful - and maybe only 2-3 cars.  And 2: Patrick believes there was just one that had the Cadillac engine.  These are points/opinions offered by the Darrin family based on their memory.

2: See attached. 1956 book #130 on Sports Cars by "Trend" (Motor Trend)"  This mentions the Cadillac engine.

I also attached a short article on "discontinued models" from the 1958 June/July issue of Auto Craftsman.  Not a big surprise here, but they were pointing out that the Kaiser-Darrin was discontinued.  Of course that happened several years before, but I thought some of you might enjoy seeing this article too.

For those of you interested, you can click on the link to see some of the "Kaiser-Darrin" articles posted on our website:

http://www.forgottenfiberglass.com/category/fiberglass-car-marques/kaiser-darrin/

Hope this helps gang, and have a great day...

Best...

Geoff Hacker
http://www.forgottenfiberglass.com/
http://www.undiscovered-classics.com/

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1956 Darrin Sports Car - Cadillac Engine
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 01:09:24 PM »
Hi Geoff, I have read your articles about "forgotten fiberglass" and have enjoyed them very much. My hat is off to you for your excellent and dedicated research about fiberglass cars. I first heard about your publication from a fan of yours, when I was at the Hemmings Concours D'Elegance  September of 2013 in Saratoga Springs, New York. He saw my Kaiser Darrin and we talked for quite a while about different fiberglass cars and your web page. This year when I was at the Good Guys North East show in Springfield, Massachusetts, I met another fan of yours. Keep up the good work.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 03:20:10 PM »
Thanks for the great information.  This will keep us busy for awhile!
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Geoff Hacker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 11:51:27 AM »
Thanks for the kind words Gordie and DTort...Questions for both of you..

* Gordie....are you the good friend of Alden Jewell?

* DT....what's your name?  I've never been good with nicknames on the web....

Thanks guys :-)

Geoff

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 11:28:02 PM »
Alden and I have been special friends for many years and collected the same things.  Now I just collect Kaiser Frazer items and automotive postcards.  I used to have two Glasspar's, one a prototype with only one door and the other with a Shorty Post chassis and both had removable hard tops.  We used to see them occasionally in Southern CA. but they are scarce now.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

KFDarrin#164

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 03:50:48 PM »
This is a letter that Dutch either typed himself or his Admin in response to an inquiry from the original owner of my #164 Darrin.  I hope that you can see it well enough to be viewed.

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 06:21:02 PM »
Could you tell what it says? I played with contrast, exposure, etc. but still could not read it well.

KFDarrin#164

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 08:23:21 PM »
Darrin Parris          Carrosserie D'automobile
Est. 1932                             May 28, 1955

Many thanks for your letter of the 24th and the nice things you said about the Darrin Sports Car.
    Regarding the Cadillac installation for your car, the motor will drop in by simply altering motor mounts and building new exhaust headers. Reinforcing bracket should be made under Gear Box serving as rear motor mount and reinforcing bracket. As soon as latest prints are available we will mail them to you.
    Regarding the hardtop we furnish top unpainted but with rear window installed for $193.00. The side windows enclosures cost $160.00. You can put your own windows in with drawings we send you.

Yours Truly
  Howard Darrin (signature)
Howard Darrin

Design studio  8006 Santa Monica Blvd - Hollywood - Hillside 2668

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 03:05:23 AM »
Just like that huh, fuel system, cooling system, transmission, drive shaft, what about brakes and suspension upgrades. Sounds dangerous to me.