Author Topic: New member  (Read 2691 times)

Lisa P

• View Profile
    • Email
« on: September 09, 2009, 09:50:49 PM »
As you can see, I am a new member here but a huge fan of this forum and it's participants.  I have a somewhat rusty but complete 1948 Kaiser that had been sitting in a barn for the past 35 years.  When I got her, the engine would not turn, the interior had pounds of mouse droppings, nests and nutshells in it and as a bonus there was a live raccoon in the engine compartment!  I have since freed the engine and have done some work on it with the help of a seasoned mechanic, I have removed the interior sans the rear door panels, and the raccoon has possibly been caught in a live trap by the neighbor.  I would like to get this car running and driveable in the near future but need some advice regarding wiring.  As you may have guessed, the original wiring was gone from the engine compartment and the rest was removed by myself.  I have saved it and labeled it in the hopes of using it as a template to bulid a new harness from scratch (I also have a copy of the shop manual).  I could really use some input from those of you that have done this as I am planning this for my fall/winter project.  I would like to stay as close to stock wiring as possible so will probably use Rhode Island Wiring as a source.  I also need to convert the tail lights and front running/parking lights to act as turn signals as well and could use some help here too.  I will also begin work on the brake and fuel lines-that ought to keep me busy for a while.  Thanks in advance for your advice and wish me luck in the months to come!

superk226

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 10:31:10 PM »
Lisa: KF Club member Robert McBride makes a wiring harness for your car. I purchased one from him and he does a very good job. He can also help with the additional wiring needed for the turn signals. His phone number is 772-466-3510. Good luck on your project. Larry

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 10:44:21 PM »
Very good luck!  This forum, if you don't already know, is very helpful.  Members are always willing to dispense invaluable advice.

montefrazer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 02:10:58 PM »
"I also need to convert the tail lights and front running/parking lights to act as turn signals as well and could use some help here too."
This was a standard feature on the 47-48 Frazer. If you can find a complete system, it will be an exact fit. You could also get the Frazer front and rear light housings, lenses, and blinker switch seperately and run your own wiring.

Sean in Ore.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 11:39:09 PM »
I have to say go with Robert Mcbride all he does is k-f products and you truly get a plug in harness. He even made some changes to my harness for the 12 volt alternator and a electric fuel pump and charged his same price. Rhode Island wiring didnt have a pattern and wanted my entire harness to copy it. All it took with Mr.McBride was a couple of phone calls to discuss the changes I needed and 2 weeks later I had my new harness.

Lisa P

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: New member-thanks for input
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 10:46:56 AM »
Thank you to everyone that responded about my wiring woes, I will give Mr. McBride a call in the coming week to discuss wiring for my Kaiser. 

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 06:19:49 PM »
He does a good job on the harnesses but sometimes it's not an exact science. I don't know about the '48 Kaiser but the ones he did for me on the Henry J had some shortcomings.  The generator wires were a bit short and very tawt when I connected them. The ground wire for the voltage reg was not long enough and I didn't find out till the rest was installed. I did make it work by grounding it in another location. The dimmer light switch length was way off on one but I think that's because there was no standard location for the dimmer switch.  I mention these things only to make you aware, not to criticise Bob's work - Bob is the best in my opinion.  I'd go to him again for any wiring harness needs, just be aware that even some of the original ones had inconsistencies so you may have to make adjustments as you install.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 10:07:38 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Orphanauto

• View Profile
    • www.orphanauto.webs.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 07:45:14 PM »
I am a little late, but I just wanted to welcome you as a new member. As you can see, there are alot of nice people here. Hope you can post pictures of you car someday, welcome again...
1953 Kaiser Manhattan 4-door

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 11:39:34 PM »
I had Mr McBride make my wire harness for my '51, and everything was exceptionally well done.  When I had an issue with the wire to the rear cigar lighter, he walked me through it. (He also, wisely, suggested that I leave it disconnected, btw). He is very easy to talk to and knowledgeable about the cars.
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988