Author Topic: Supersonic 6  (Read 4260 times)

scrambler48

• View Profile
    • Email
Supersonic 6
« on: September 21, 2009, 03:56:31 PM »
Hello everyone, 
I just joined and have a question.  I recently bought a 1950/51 willys jeepster parts car.  Upon opening the hood i see a kaiser Frazer supersonic 6.  Is that correct for a jeepster?  Is this engine worth anything?  I'm sure it does not run, but I'm wondering if anyone has any use for it.  I am not going to need it, and before I take it to the steel recycle yard I wanted to know if it could be used by anyone.  I am not interested in shipping and not trying to get rich.  Would like it to be used for something before I see what the scrap yard will give me.  Any interest or info would be appreciated.  I am located in southern Minn. 30 miles west of Mankato

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Supersonic 6
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 07:13:51 PM »
I'm in the Twin Towns and I'd only be interested if it were a 161 CID six. The 226 would not be useful to me. The difference is the 161 six cylinder has the carburettor and fuel pump on the driver side, the 226 has them on the passenger side.  I don't believe any Jeeps had the 226 in 1950/51 so it's likely a 161. I'm not in need of one but I might take it off your hands if you're going to throw it.  Does it look like this ?

The other telltale that it's a 161 is the distributor is mounted at an angle in the passenger side and oil pump is directly across from it on the driver's side.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 06:00:06 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Supersonic 6
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 08:12:04 PM »
Willys Jeepsters used essentially the same engine in their cars as KF did in the Henry J (assuming that what you have is a 161). The main differences are the motor tag and cylinder head. Otherwise, they are interchangeable. I'd try to get that one running...I've gone thru 2 that were supposed to be good motors and still don't have my 51 Jeepster on the road.