Author Topic: Hydramatic installation  (Read 1074 times)

Restoredent

• View Profile
Hydramatic installation
« on: December 13, 2014, 05:36:46 PM »
I am in the process of installing the hydramatic trans in my 53 manhatten. It has been a couple of years sinc I took it apart and I am trying to figure out what holds the pilot bearing in place in the flywheel. Is there a bushing on the shaft, or perhaps the edge is peened over , though I don't see any evidence of that. Any help will be appreciated.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hydramatic installation
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 09:49:54 PM »
Are you installing it back in the car you removed it from?  The reason I ask is the crankshaft is different on the Hydramatic cars so if you're putting a Hydramatic in a car that originally had a 3 speed, that  will cause some problems.  Otherwise, hopefully someone with some Hydramatic experience will answer.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 11:42:57 PM »
Gravity and inertia with the help of a bit of grease. There is nothing more substantial than that. This of course makes insertion of the Xmission mainshaft end a real joy, altho I did it recently and really didn't have a problem. According to the manuals, spacers were used in some installations, but I have never seen one- whatever was there before should be put back in.

Restoredent

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 01:15:06 AM »
Thanks for the responses. Yes it is going back in the car it came from. I also heard back from the shop that rebuilt the trans that there should be a bushing/spacer on the shaft and they are looking for it. If anybody has one in their garage, let me know. Thanks again.