Author Topic: Cute Kaiser Convertible  (Read 1897 times)

Mr Manhattan

• View Profile
    • Email
Cute Kaiser Convertible
« on: March 19, 2015, 10:09:39 PM »

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
Re: Cute Kaiser Convertible
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 10:56:39 PM »
Very interesting.  It appears someone did it with an eye toward authenticity, using a two door Kaiser as the basis for the convertible project, like the factory car.  The top would probably be pretty tough to reconstruct, but it sure would make a great project.
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 05:13:00 AM »
Two door sedans were not used on factory prototyping; the coupe body had a bit more space in the trunk (look at pictures and you will see different hinge positions relative to the back window glass).  Anyone interested should check out the underside; they needed some additional bracing because the roof was cut off (like there was on the 4-door convertibles. 

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 06:02:48 AM »
The pictured car was one of two purportedly completed by Derham for KF. As noted it was yellow and in a few places where paint has peeled, you can see the original paint. I saw and had the opportunity to drive this car at a national meet several years ago. It ran nicely and rode like a convertible...a bit stiffer than a sedan. I put my name on a rather long list of folks who would be proud to park it in my garage should the owner ever decide to sell.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 02:28:25 PM »
I don't know where my Kaiser convertible came from but it was made out of a coupe body and has convertible side windows and a non retracting Carson type top.  There is a picture of it in the 2006 Club Roster in the CA section and an on line story about it on a non KF Club website.  It was at K-F Club meets over forty five years ago.  I bought it in Iowa and it had Colo. plates on it and apparently was once owned by Fred Walker but I also have a picture of it when it was on a Detroit used car lot parked next to a 1955 T Bird.  I wonder if it could be the missing '51 convertible?   It is otherwise all stock with wire wheels and is painted yellow. It had a green interior which a previous owner repainted black.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 03:00:42 PM »
 I like the "heart" dip at the center of the back window...the little picture, not the craigslist ad!

Gary.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 03:02:32 PM by darrin145 »

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 04:24:12 PM »
Looks like a well done conversion at a distance. Hope someone in KFOCF gets this one and I see it at a meet soon, restored!