Author Topic: Timing Gear Cover  (Read 1071 times)

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
Timing Gear Cover
« on: April 29, 2015, 08:55:23 AM »
On my 226 engine I plan to check the chain for play and then replace the engine plate gasket, the timing cover gasket and seal. The
shop manual says to prevent the camshaft moving in while tapping the gear back on. This is to prevent damaging the tappets.
The manual does not say how to secure the camshaft when doing this. Has anyone done this as the manual says ?

shadetree77

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Timing Gear Cover
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 03:49:13 PM »
I couldn't figure that out either. So I took the tappet cover off and did my best to look at and/or feel the cam and #'s 1, 5, and 9 tappets to make sure the cam wasn't contacting the side of the tappets. I rotated the engine and kept checking it til it looked ok. Then I just went for it and tapped the gears on. Nothing got damaged in my case.

You mentioned that you are going to replace the gasket behind the front engine plate. I think you're going to have to take the oil pan off to gain access to the allen head bolt that goes through the front filler block and into the plate. Taking the pan off means removing both front and rear filler blocks and putting a new pan gasket on. This is going to amount to a LOT of work if your engine is in the car. I wrote an article and posted it here a few months ago about the hell you have to go through to put a new oil pan gasket on. Don't know if you saw it but just want you to be prepared.  ;D Keep us updated.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 03:50:55 PM by shadetree77 »
Robert Trail
Former Tech. Article Editor Buick Bugle Magazine
Former BCA#46402
Former KFOCI#10647

1953 Kaiser Manhattan
1952 Buick Special Deluxe (Lucy)
1951 Packard 300