Author Topic: Floorpan Rust  (Read 1626 times)

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
Floorpan Rust
« on: December 25, 2009, 01:55:07 PM »
I went to check the brake fluid level in my 53 Dragon yesterday.  It had rained the night before and the car was outside.  When I lifted the carpet, there was a large damp spot on the floor, drivers side, to the left, just below the dimmer switch, and up against the kick panel.  There are no visible leaks, and I don't think it's coming in through the door.  Any ideas about where the leak originates and how to fix before I have a hole in the floor?

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Floorpan Rust
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 02:15:55 PM »
You may want to check two things since it is on the driver side...

1.  Has a leak developed around the windshield rubber seal?  They did tend to leak at various places as the rubber got older.

2.  Check the various seals protecting wiring and other holes in the firewall on the driver side.  If the seal at the hood deteriorated water could seep in and leak down the firewall.

Remember, rubber seals and grommets start to break down over time...it is part of the rubber material's normal againg process and is found on various makes of car, not just K-F products.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 05:31:06 PM »
Two good suggestions.  I hadn't even thought of the hood-to-cowl seal, but when the !@#$%'s who repainted this car did it (before I got it), they painted right over the seal.  I will have to find a new one and put it on.

Thanks,
Cory J. (Logan)

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 07:30:44 PM »
Most commonly, the water will enter at the wiper mount where it contacts the windshield gasket. A gasket was used under the mount but water still gets inside. It then runs along the underside of the upper dash until gravity catches up and it drips. All of the 51-5 Kaisers I've owned leaked there. The fix was to use a little rope seal caulk...called 'dum-dum' back in the day, around the edge of the mount where it contacts the windshield gasket. That fixed mine.

The other common entry point has already been mentioned...the windshield gasket. They tend to crack at the right angles and that causes leaks. Again, the 'dum-dum' treatment should stop the leak.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 09:23:29 PM »
I"ll try it, thanks.