Author Topic: Air Conditioning for 52 Manhattan  (Read 2069 times)

Kenn Evans II

• MSN Messenger - winslowcemeteries@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Air Conditioning for 52 Manhattan
« on: November 14, 2009, 04:44:11 PM »
I have been reading in the blog and looking around on the web and the Dragon had a/c, is there a factory or aftermarket that would work for my 52 Manhattan? I would like to keep the classic lines of the dash open and maybe find a trunk unit any suggestions on how to go about doing it. The photo's of the Dragons on-line all seem to skip the dash and just list the a/c as an option in the spec. sheet.
Family of 1952 Kaiser Manhattan 1952 Kaiser Deluxe 1949 Kaiser Traveler 1961 Falcon Ranchero 1963 Galaxie 500 XL Conv. 1964 Cadillac Sovereign Landaulet combination ambulance hearse , 1970 Ford Truck F100 1972 Chevelle SS Conv.  1979 Chevrolet C100 KF Member # 10252

ben-tex

• View Profile
    • KF NUT
Re: Air Conditioning for 52 Manhattan
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 05:03:39 PM »
I doubt if KF offered an air conditioner as we use the term today--they referred to the heater/ventilator system as an air conditioner.
Life Member
Quarterly Editor 1985-2001
Developed first official club website
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1951 Frazer Vagabond
2008 Pacemaker :)

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 11:15:11 AM »
As with the Nash "Weather Eye" system, the Kaiser-Frazer "Air Conditioner" refers to something that was called 'Conditioned Air' back then.   Dad dealt with this during his many years with Pontiac and indicated that the narrowed passage in the intake run from the front of the duct to the interior sped up air flow and slightly reduced temperature.  He also noted that a moisture run-off tube would drain some (but not always all) the moisture that was suched in.  Otherwise, it's your plain old heater/defroster.  Kaiser-Frazer NEVER offered air conditioning as we all know it in vehicles today (condensor, very cold air, etc).

Jack Mueller
Club Historian

Kenn Evans II

• MSN Messenger - winslowcemeteries@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 02:17:19 AM »
Thank you Jack. I think I am going to copy my unit in my lincoln limo. The a/c is all electric and pokes up just above the backseat. When I start this I'll let everyone know how it turns out and a parts list with cost. The AZ desert is abit too darn Hot to be without it.
Family of 1952 Kaiser Manhattan 1952 Kaiser Deluxe 1949 Kaiser Traveler 1961 Falcon Ranchero 1963 Galaxie 500 XL Conv. 1964 Cadillac Sovereign Landaulet combination ambulance hearse , 1970 Ford Truck F100 1972 Chevelle SS Conv.  1979 Chevrolet C100 KF Member # 10252

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 06:19:53 PM »
Please be advised that aftermarket air conditioning systems (with compressor, freon, etc) can be installed in a Kaiser, Frazer or Willys product with a 226 engine (at least, that's the version I know about).  It would have the 3 or 4 ducts under the dashboard like other dealer-installed A/C of the late 1950's (Ford comes to mind).  KFOCI Club Member Dale Hammon has installed air conditioning this way on some cars and can probably give guidance on how to do it, rather than cutting up the rear package shelf.