Author Topic: questions on parts for a '51 2 door deluxe traveler  (Read 2555 times)

scrappyj

• View Profile
questions on parts for a '51 2 door deluxe traveler
« on: July 20, 2015, 02:49:06 AM »
Hi all new member in the club as well as the forum. My dad and I are currently restoring a '51 2 door deluxe traveler and are in need of some parts.  We have just started and are nearly done with the frame. Although the body is next and has been sitting outside for awhile. So my first question is does anyone know if anyone makes floor pans? Thanks for any help its much appreciated!

scrappyj

• View Profile
Re: questions on parts for a '51 2 door deluxe traveler
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 03:36:57 AM »
Thank you so much!

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 06:38:11 AM »
A good source for parts is the Kaiser-Frazer Owners Club International.   Most of the people on the forum (if my information is current & correct) are not members of the KFOCI.  Some members are also parts vendors and other members have "surplus" stocks that they sell from periodically.  In addition to good sources for parts (and many times at better prices than eBay or other sources) some members have restored travelers (even 2-doors) and might be able to provide good information on the more unusual aspects of the hatchback automobiles.  If that was not enough, KFOCI HANDBOOK is a perk for joining the club; 217 different items listing overviews of the various cars (including 2-door Deluxe Travelers) with production counts, paint colors & interior trims (you can translate all those numbers on the various manufacturers plates you find on the body) interchange information and other interesting stuff.

You can join on line if you wish at the club website.

AZ_HJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 07:35:20 AM »
Floor Pan try c2cfabrication.com
1948 Willy CJ2A Jeep
1952 Henry J Vagabond Deluxe
1953 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe

scrappyj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 01:13:49 AM »
Thanks but the the thing is I did join the kaiser frazer owners international so just out of curiosity how do I get into touch with these people that have parts for sale or can point me in the right direction. I should also add that I just joined the kfoi Sunday evening. Anything helps thanks again!

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 04:10:24 PM »
Hi & welcome to the club.

I myself was a newcomer some 40 years ago with little knowledge about the car I had & no real mechanical skills.  I learned a lot of things the hard way, and perhaps I may be able to help you avoid the tiger traps particular to K-F cars, having had a number of them (including 2-door Travelers) over the years.  Perhaps I am covering ground you have already covered successfully.  If so, please bear with me; I want to cover as much as I can for starters.   I cover the initial basics based on my experiences; others may change the order a bit based on theirs.

First off, can you please send me the information off the two factory tags (the large & the smaller one) that are/were on the firewall of the car?  They contain information specific to your vehicle.  Same goes for the serial number tag on the body shell's door post.  I need all the numbers including the prefix (K512 in the case of a 1951 Kaiser Deluxe of any body type).  Cars are door post serialized by series; the smaller firewall tag identifies the specific body number for a 2-door Traveler.  You can also figure out a lot of this by looking at various items within the KFOCI HANDBOOK which you will get as part of your New Member Information.  The current release level of the CD is Version 5.0, released in 2013. 

Second, before you get too far into things, I STRONGLY recommend two factory issued documents that you will more than likely need for the project:

1.  1951 Kaiser and Frazer Shop Manual issued by Kaiser-Frazer Sales Corporation.  This book runs over 330 pages & the "regulation" edition is 8.5" x 11 ".  There is a good bit of information on replacement & alignment of the upper & lower sections of the rear deck as part of the BODY & SHEET METAL SECTION (Section 14) along with various types of mechanical diagnostics and how to do it information.  It is written with the idea that people working cars like yours have a general working knowledge of auto repair. 

2.  1951 Kaiser Combined Chassis and Body Parts List (orange/black cover, dated June 1951).  This is the only complete parts list with illustrations and exploded drawings showing the various individual parts (down to hardware items) for such things as the folding rear seat (Figure 30-12) and the rear hatch assemblies (Figure 30-13).  This item runs over 180 pages.  Being able to find part numbers for what you need is important as many people in the club selling parts tend to go by the numbers on the packaging or the parts themselves.  When it comes to mechanical items, most of the parts for your vehicle are the same as 1951 Kaiser Deluxe 2-door sedan or even Kaiser Special 2-door sedan (things like doors, fenders, hood, etc) except for the trim level. 

Club Member Jim Betts maintains a website, CIRCLEKF where you can find scanned copies of these two documents.

Now for special stuff that only applies to certain 1951 Kaisers (yours might be one of them; I could know more off the numbers I already asked for). 

a.  if your Kaiser was factory equipped with Hydra-Matic (automatic transmission) it is the same GM made box used on either 1950 or 1951 model year Pontiacs.  You can tell which version can swap by the serial number prefix tag on the transmission casing.  if it starts "K50" it is the 1950 model year Pontiac type; "K51" is the same box used in 1951 model year Pontiacs. The guts are different in a number of ways so you need to be aware of this if you have transmission issues.

b.  If your car had overdrive, you have the same Borg-Warner transmission & overdrive (3 speed with no syncro in first gear) as used in Studebaker, Mercury and other popular makes of the period. 

c.  Originally 1951 Kaisers used Delco-Remy electrical components & Auto-Lite A-5 (heat range) spark plugs.  By the time production of Traveler models started, cars with overdrive could be equipped with D-R or Auto-Lite electrical items (generator, starter, distributor, etc).  Cars with the Hydra-Matic only used D-R parts.  The items themselves are not swappable (you cannot replace Delco with Auto-Lite or vise-versa).  Many Delco-Remy bits (rotor, points, etc) tend to be same as used on 6-volt 1950-54 Chevrolet truck & Auto-Lite bits quite often are same as used on 6 cylinder 6-volt Chrysler Corporation cars of the same period. 

There is an interchange book put out by a member in CA that covers a lot of the various swaps for all kinds of things.  He regularly advertises in KFOCI MONTHLY BULLETIN, the club's monthly newsletter.

Again, as I don't know specific needs for your particular vehicle. it is kind of hard to go forward from here.  I would suggest giving me a call (716-608-6210) and see what else I can help you with or who I can refer you to.

Jack Mueller
Club Historian, KFOCI

AZ_HJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 06:26:41 PM »
One of our good parts supplier is Rudy's KF Parts 2136 Walnut St. Ramona, CA 92065.  1-760-789-3608. This is owned by Rudy Phillips.
1948 Willy CJ2A Jeep

AZ_HJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 06:36:37 PM »
Another supplier of mostly good used Kaiser parts is the Kaiser Store 7108 W. Patricia Ann Lane, Peoria, AZ 85382  602-373-1456. This is owned by Larry Barker. Larry is hard to get ahold of, so be patient. Larry has stripped out a many a Kaiser automobile and has quite the assorted collection of parts.
1948 Willy CJ2A Jeep

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 08:24:05 PM »
Welcome to the KFOCI! There's a wealth of technical information available for your car that's already been mentioned but its biggest asset is its membership base. Only a fraction of our members visit this site so if you have the opportunity, attend a meet near you. You'll get to see other Kaiser, Frazer, and Willys built vehicles as well as meet their owners. While KF produced a lot of material, some 60 years after the last passenger car was built in the US it's the owners who have the best advice to get your car back on the road.

About your membership, they're processed once a month and when that happens, we'll send a welcome package in the mail that consists of our latest Quarterly magazine, a 2015 calendar (yes, I know the year is half over, but we still have alot of 2015 left!), handbook on CD, and a paper copy of the latest monthly news bulletin. Well worth the price paid!

Welcome to the club!