Author Topic: Kaiser Deluxe 1953 - driver's door will not lock  (Read 852 times)

kingsgate

• View Profile
Kaiser Deluxe 1953 - driver's door will not lock
« on: August 04, 2015, 09:19:56 AM »
I have the right key. It fits, and turns just fine. The little locking button goes up and down perfectly well.

So, the door "looks" locked with the button down.

However, when I pull the door handle, the driver's door still opens!

Anyone else had this issue and might save me dismantling the door etc to figure out what has broken?

All hints and tips / experience gratefully received!

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kaiser Deluxe 1953 - driver's door will not lock
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 10:13:13 AM »
Sorry, but the door will have to have the panel removed to access the lock. There is a shaft that connects the lock to the key
mechanism. This shaft is held by a spring clip. I'm sure the shaft is laying at the bottom inside the door along with the clip.
This happened to me and I think it is due to the driver's door getting the most use. The culprit is the spring clip is worn. You
may be able to bend the clip a little and still use it. If you get it back together and the lock works make sure to test it
numerous times before putting the panel back. Mine worked three times, so I put the panel back and tried it and the same
thing happened again !

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kaiser Deluxe 1953 - driver's door will not lock
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 12:20:45 PM »
Sounds to me that is is the lock mechanism itself.  If the "button" is raising and lowering when you turn the key, then the horizontal rod from the outside door lock is properly engaged into the door lock mechanism and the vertical rod that goes up to the door lock "button" is properly in place.  Likely a spring within the door lock mechanism.

Either way you'll still have to remove the inner window surround, door/window handles, arm rest, etc., and remove the door panel.

I have the other 3 door locks NOS, but not the driver's door.   :'(

Good luck...common problem on drivers door...Mike
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 06:40:27 PM by mbflemingkf »
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)