Author Topic: Front Wheel Cylinder on 1953 Kaiser Manhatten  (Read 8532 times)

checker

• JE SUIS PRET
    • View Profile
Re: Front Wheel Cylinder on 1953 Kaiser Manhatten
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2015, 08:25:05 AM »
Guys,

I got from multiple threads on this forum, part numbers and suppliers for replacement shoes, wheel cylinder rebuild kits or replacement wheel cylinders assembly.

Would you have also p/n's and supplier for spring kits and drums ?

Thanks.

Kenn Evans II

• MSN Messenger - winslowcemeteries@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2015, 03:12:35 PM »
Thanks for the information, I didn't know the difference between the auto and standard in reference to the brakes.
Family of 1952 Kaiser Manhattan 1952 Kaiser Deluxe 1949 Kaiser Traveler 1961 Falcon Ranchero 1963 Galaxie 500 XL Conv. 1964 Cadillac Sovereign Landaulet combination ambulance hearse , 1970 Ford Truck F100 1972 Chevelle SS Conv.  1979 Chevrolet C100 KF Member # 10252

Kato

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2019, 11:02:20 AM »
So, I just bought a '53 Manhattan and blew the passenger front wheel cylinder a few days ago.  In trying to find information on the brakes, I come across this original post, which is quite helpful.  After a few minutes I realize that it was created by the guy who sold the car to the guy I bought it from -- this is my car he's asking about!!  I wonder if Lee ever did redo the wheel cylinders or not -- either way, I'm off to NAPA to pick up the rebuild kits any try again.  Wish me luck!
'53 Kaiser Manhattan
'52 Nash Ambassador
'51 Hudson Pacemaker
'77 Toyota Celica GT

Dragon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2019, 02:00:32 PM »
When you put the front brakes on a 1953 do you put the longer brake shoe on the front or back side?
Thanks
KFOCI since 1968
1954 Kaiser Manhattan
1953 Dragon
1951 Dragon
1951 Business Coupe
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1936 International Tow Truck

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2019, 07:40:14 PM »
Long shoe on the front, short shoe on the back.

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2019, 09:18:56 AM »
Sorry, the Primary shoe (Short Lining) always goes in the front.  It is the first shoe to contact the drum when applying brakes.  The Secondary shoe (Long Lining) is the second shoe to contact the drum and does the majority of the braking, thus the longer lining.  They are usually made of different lining material  because of the different functions of each.   Lining material will also affect the effectiveness of braking.  The harder the lining the harder brakes need to be applied and they last longer.  That's not a problem for later cars because they mostly come with power brakes.   

If you can find organic linings (softer material) that should give good stopping with these older cars.
54 Darrin # 81
53 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe
51 Custom Henry J (Concept Car?)

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2019, 10:01:35 AM »
Okay, brake shoe replacement for floating type brakes, not self energizing brakes, is the long shoe is the primary shoe. The short shoe is the secondary shoe. Floating brakes use the clips at the shoe sides to hold the shoes in place and allow the shoes to float. Also, the bottoms of the shoes are stationary and do not move. The adjusters are on the sides near the hold down clips. On self energizing brakes, the short shoe is the primary shoe. Self energizing brakes are different because the shoes are held in place by a pin-spring-retainer and the shoes do not float. The adjustment is at the bottom of the shoes and the bottom of the shoes are not stationary. On floating type brakes the primary shoe does the most braking and the shoes do not rotate when the brakes are applied.  On self energizing brakes, both shoes share the load and rotate somewhat as the brakes are applied. The service manual for the 1951 Kaiser Frazer page 214, 3rd paragraph down on the left outlines installation. After 1949 all Kaiser,  Frazer, and Darrins used the floating type brake. I think the Henry J used the self energizing 9 inch brakes.

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2019, 10:29:21 AM »
Ok, apologies!!
54 Darrin # 81
53 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe
51 Custom Henry J (Concept Car?)

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2019, 01:29:28 PM »
left shoes on front ...right ones on rear.
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

Dragon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2019, 03:28:59 PM »
Someone told me I was wrong and I should have long shoe on back. So I took his advice and they have been dragging ever since.  That's why they where dragging.  I need to quit listening to non KF people. 
KFOCI since 1968
1954 Kaiser Manhattan
1953 Dragon
1951 Dragon
1951 Business Coupe
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1936 International Tow Truck

superk226

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2019, 09:47:32 PM »
Page 214 in the 51 K-F shop manual says the shoe with the long lining goes in the forward position.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2019, 06:18:57 AM »
For me, it’s a pretty easy decision that most of these comments never mention.  You install new brakes and components as you see them on the car now. If your brakes worked fine but are needing replaced for normal wear and tear, simply take a lot of photos and/or lay the old out on the ground the same as removed.
No old cars owned.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2019, 09:26:21 AM »
For me, it’s a pretty easy decision that most of these comments never mention.  You install new brakes and components as you see them on the car now. If your brakes worked fine but are needing replaced for normal wear and tear, simply take a lot of photos and/or lay the old out on the ground the same as removed.

My method has always been to only do one side at a time, but realized the flaw is that depends on the guy that did the work before. After replacing my rear axle shoes after a full teardown/restoration I posted a pic here and a sharp eyed, and more knowledgeable member pointed out my shoes were reversed. I checked my disassembly photos and that's the way it came apart. I had installed the old shoes in the 70's, following what had been done sometime in the previous 20+ years before I got the car, which means the entire time I drove the car in the 70's the rear shoes were reversed.

Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu