Author Topic: Converting Kaiser 3 speed w/OD to a Hydramatic  (Read 2068 times)

ford35rod

• View Profile
Converting Kaiser 3 speed w/OD to a Hydramatic
« on: August 20, 2015, 12:52:08 PM »
I am looking to buy a 1954 Manhattan that currently has a manual transmission.  Can anyone advise on what would be involved to convert to a hydramatic.  Also, any suggestions on finding a hydramatic.  I found vendors for rebuild kits.  Thanks for any help.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Converting Kaiser 3 speed w/OD to a Hydramatic
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 05:05:39 PM »
I can't speak for the entire project (and I'm sure someone on this forum can) but I do know it requires that the crankshaft be changed as those cars with Hydramatic used different crankshaft than those with a 3 speed manual transmission.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 09:26:56 PM »
You will also need a different frame member that supports the Xmission, and a different emergency brake cable. Then there's the speedometer cable, which is also different. The driveshaft also will need replacement, as I recall, and the accelerator linkage is different. OOps- the differential ratio is different for hydro, so one ideally would replace that as well. The hydro has a bell housing that is different, so that would have to be acquired along with the Xmission.

I'm sure this is not an exhaustive list, but will give you some idea of what you will have to be doing. Getting a parts car with a hydro would save you lots of searching.

ford35rod

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 12:55:20 PM »
Thanks to both of you (Fid & dpledger).  Not being a mechanic it sounds like its a lot of work.  I'll probably keep looking for a '54/55 with hydramatic already in it.
Thanks again

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 07:35:08 PM »
ford35rod: These guys all gave good advice. In the old days, it was easier to convert a Hydramatic car to a straight shift than the other direction. There were a lot of non-Hydramatic Kaisers that could be stripped for the parts you needed. These days I would suggest 1) learn to drive a 3spd/OD or 2) if you really have to have an automatic, consider a motor swap - it may be less trouble.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

ford35rod

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 01:24:28 PM »
Thanks HJ-ETEX for the advice.  I went with option one.  I just bought a 1955 Manhattan with a 3 speed.  OD doesn't work and I am hoping its just the solenoids.

The car will be delivered 9/11/15.  I also applied for KF club membership, it looks like a great organization.

MilesP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 09:40:31 PM »
I am no expert but Kaider only built 226 1955 4 door cars and I think they were all with automatic transmissions when you get the car post the info on the firewall for the experts to decipher

Orphanauto

• View Profile
    • www.orphanauto.webs.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 08:34:43 AM »
Ford, clean all the connections on the wires, ect.. for the overdrive. That fixes the problem a lot, ( not always of course ) after so many years, the o.d. just needs clean connectons. I LOVE my 3 speed with overdrive. You should really enjoy it. I spoke to one club member that has the hyrdamatic and wish he had the overdrive, he calls the Hydramatic, the CLUNK O Matic. haha
1953 Kaiser Manhattan 4-door

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 02:41:09 PM »
Hands down, I would take a stick O/D car over one with a hydramatic.

ford35rod

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2015, 01:51:30 PM »
I finally got my '55 Manhattan about 3 days ago.  Thanks for the tip Orphanauto.  I did check the fuse on the relay and have just put the car up on jack stands.  I will follow your advice and clean all connections. 
MilesP...I haven't had a chance to talk to anyone but the car looks original re: transmission, etc.  I did verify that the car is a '55 #163 and all #s match the registry.