Author Topic: Darrin Steering Column Removal  (Read 1835 times)

darrin bob

• View Profile
Darrin Steering Column Removal
« on: September 19, 2015, 12:20:04 PM »
Has anyone removed the steering column from a Darrin with the body on and the engine in place?  The car is currently being driven but needs to have the steering box rebuilt.  It's worn well beyond effective adjustment.

This does not look like an easy job!

Is there a Kaiser tech bulletin or manual covering this procedure?

Any information, suggestions, or tips would be appreciated.

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Darrin Steering Column Removal
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 01:48:15 PM »
It's not easy, but pretty straight forward. Remove the steering wheel, horn wire, and turn signal assembly from the outer column tube. Remove the upper steering column brackets under the dashboard. The lower part of the bracket is really all you need to remove, but loosen the upper nuts on the top bracket so that the bracket is free from the outer column tube. It's easier if you remove the outer column tube from the steering box because that shaft is one piece from the box to the steering wheel. At the steering box, there is a clamp that secures the outer column tube. Loosen the nut on the clamp to free the outer column tube from the steering box. At the firewall there is a cover plate around the outer column tube. It's an air and dust seal. Loosen or remove the cover plate so you can pull the outer column cover up and out of the car through the dash opening. Be careful of the seal at the dashboard they are available from Steele Rubber or Metro Moulded Rubber if you need one. You are going to have to raise the car enough to get the steering gear and column inner shaft out from underneath the car. if you have a lift, you are golden. If not, it's going to be tough. Take the pitman arm off the steering gear, remove the 3 bolts from the frame to steering box and remove the steering gear and inner steering tube from the car. Taking the pitman arm off will give you a little more clearance when you get close the ground with the steering gear. Hope this helps. Putting it back in is another story.

darrin bob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 05:00:40 PM »
Thanks this helps a lot.

I'm assuming that the flexible fresh air duct should to be removed for better access??

Also, does the fuel pump need to be removed for clearance??

Lastly, I don't have a lift:

How high does the car need to be blocked up to get the column out??

Should it be blocked on the frame with the wheels hanging free; OR on ramps with the car's weight on the wheels??  It looks like maybe with wheels hanging free, the lower "A" frame may be more in the way than if the weight was on the wheels and the suspension compressed.

Also, I am considering sending the box out for a rebuild at Lares Corp.  Any comments or other recommendations?

Thanks,
Bob

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 08:26:59 PM »
Remove anything extra that you feel maybe in the way. You are going to need quite a bit of height to remove the box and shaft. I would support the car by the frame behind or near where the crossmember is for the master cylinder. Try to visualize the path that the steering gear will take under the front of the chassis as it comes out through the firewall. Also remember safety first. It's no fun if you get hurt or worse.

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 08:06:39 AM »
Lares Corp doesn't list a Darrin but they do list a 51 Henry J.    I have found this out with many firms that say they do  "More Than any _____ (put in the product)" but don't list smaller production runs like the Darrin.   Maybe they will do, I would be interested to know.
54 Darrin # 81
53 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe
51 Custom Henry J (Concept Car?)

darrin bob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 01:32:10 PM »
Thanks all for your comments.  I'll have to do some figuring and planning on the  jacking up issue.  This is a winter project, so I've got some time.

The car number is 275.

I've collected most of the NOS parts needed to build a completely new box, EXCEPT the worm, so I figured that would have to made.  This car also has a unique universal joint for the tilt steering wheel which was installed before the original sale by Howard Darrin's studio. This is probably beyond my ability to rebuild.  I therefore spoke to Lares some time ago.  They said they could do the job and said that any parts that were no longer available, they would just make from scratch.  Love to hear from someone that actually put them to this test and what was their level of satisfaction.  They sounded competent, but feedback from a user would good.

Again, thanks to all.