Author Topic: Wiper pivots removal ect.. trim  (Read 921 times)

Orphanauto

• View Profile
    • www.orphanauto.webs.com
    • Email
Wiper pivots removal ect.. trim
« on: January 02, 2016, 07:13:45 PM »
I am going to have my 53 Manhattan painted in a few months. On nice, well, not too cold days, I'll be pulling the trim off. How d the wiper pivots come off? I see a set screw on the side of the chrome piece ( outside of car ), Do I need to get under the dash to get them off? Any other "tricks" I need to know about for getting an other trim pieces off, such as the side trim by the windows? I plan on having the windshield taken off and replace it and the rubber gasket which I will buy from the club. Thanks Ron..
"
1953 Kaiser Manhattan 4-door

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wiper pivots removal ect.. trim
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 09:51:23 PM »
Under the dash you go- pivot links and clamps attach there, and pivots lift out from outside. Not really that awful to get at (except driver's side of course.)

As far as the stainless trim, you would be advised to leave it on and mask well. Tends to be held on with small, very rusty screws from inside which won't want to come out. Seem to recall that the windows have to be dropped to get at the pieces under the windows. Not worth it to remove unless rust is oozing out from under.

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wiper pivots removal ect.. trim
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 05:43:16 PM »
Ron, that set screw on the side of the pivot body is the port to the windshield wiper tube should you have that accessory.  The windshield spray nozzle screws in there when the set screw is removed.

8)
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)