Author Topic: Darrins at BJ  (Read 3590 times)

joefrazer

• View Profile
Darrins at BJ
« on: January 23, 2010, 04:49:36 PM »
Just watched the first Darrin (red) go thru the BJ auction and it brought $200K. Nice money for a good car that had a few liberties taken in the restoration, but what the heck...!

The second car fetched $92K and in my opinion was the more honest car of the two...but since the first was shot in a fresh coat of resale-red, it got the big bucks!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 10:45:31 PM by joefrazer »

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
Re: Darrins at BJ
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 10:32:06 PM »
Wow, that IS a ton of $$$!!!  I like the car, but WOW.
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 11:36:14 PM »
Club member Bob Adams of Scottsdale, AZ restored the red car.  Larry Barker gave him some assistance over the last month or so.  Bob's restored several now and swung by NC after Hershey this year to pick up a Darwin I found for him (actually knew about the car for a number of years).  His car hauler was empty as he had just delivered a Pine Tint car he restored to a Canadian buyer at Hershey. It was not previously registered in the club, #397 if I recall correctly.  It needs everything but Bob is a perfectionist and does awesome work; it will be the same caliber car when finished.  Some that saw the red car thought it might hit $250K. 
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 10:29:35 AM »
Note the words "Canadian Buyer" in the last post.  If you check on the sales of Kaiser-Darrin sports cars (according to my information) about 50% of them---the higher priced half it seems--went out of the United States.  Hyman Enterprises has a strong list of overseas clients who are looking for exotic American cars. 

ohmdr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 11:20:56 PM »
The red car looks awesome and I know that Bob does amazing work on the Darrins.

While I love custom cars and people taking liberties with cars, for some reason when it comes to the Darrin, I become a "purist." It probably has to do with my 30+ year love affair/desire/obsession with them.  Being car #26, it should have come from the factory in Champaign White and had an X pattern in the seats rather than the later horizontal pleats. 

Still, an amazing looking car, great rebuild of it, great price for Bob and the auction house, and it will look great and draw insane amounts of attention no matter where the new owners take it, and the vast majority of people will never know that the color and interior isn't "right"... 

Congrats Bob, another well done Darrin!

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 09:18:37 AM »
Another old post about values of KF cars, with some folks opining on value that does not include me. 
No old cars owned.