Author Topic: Starting the engine  (Read 1600 times)

shawn_and_his_kaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
Starting the engine
« on: July 04, 2016, 04:13:10 PM »
My 1951 Kaiser Special is a really hard and slow start, not to mention the negative battery cable gets really hot. Ideas? Suggestions? Is there anything I can add or do differently? Most of the electrical components under the hood have been replaced already. All original otherwise.
Thank you in advance,
Shawn
1951 Kaiser Special

kfnut

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Starting the engine
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 05:36:48 PM »
Make sure you have good heavy gauge battery cables . Good , clean and tight connections on those cables . Don't forget the motor to body ground cable . Have your starter cleaned and serviced by a good starter shop . I had the same issue with a 47 Studebaker M16 truck a couple of years ago . When doing all the above , I thought I had a 12 volt system it started so fast .

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 09:54:44 PM »
Agree with above- hot cable means high current draw or high resistance somewhere. Make sure you have cables made for 6 volt systems- those designed for later 12 volt ones don't have the current carrying capacity. could be a short in starter, but I'd bet on the cable.

shawn_and_his_kaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 11:50:07 AM »
I cleaned out the starter and the generator, new brushes. The black cable appears newer, replaced the ground. Nothing... Currently turns over, no start. Hot black cable still.
1951 Kaiser Special

kfnut

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 06:10:30 AM »
Sounds like your " Black cable " is too small . Get a heavy gauge cable at a tractor or large truck supply place .

Bobm90

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 09:05:54 AM »
I agree I had the same cranking problems with my 54, Someone replaced the cables with ones designed for 12 volts, 6 volt systems require a larger  gauge cable, mine came from Rock auto and now it spins and starts fast with no hot battery cables.
1931 Model A Ford Deluxe Coupe
1959 Mercury 4 Dr
1958 Chevrolet Bel Air 2 Dr
1959 Morris Minor 1000 2 Dr
1954 Kaiser Manhattan 4 Dr

shawn_and_his_kaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 11:38:30 AM »
Awesome... I really appreciate this! I'll update you on the progress.
1951 Kaiser Special

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 01:43:05 PM »
goto your local tractor supply stores, eg., TSC

old tractors were 6 volt and many positive ground--- strap is sized accordingly

shawn_and_his_kaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 07:47:38 AM »
I ordered 2 new, correct battery cables.. Going to be cleaning out the sediment bulb and fuel filter soon. Hopefully this will help, currently still won't start. I've been having trouble with the fuel side of things since I changed out the fuel pump, but it's been running since. Not sure really... Running out of things to replace under the hood.
1951 Kaiser Special

Vagabond Russ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 09:01:24 PM »
I ordered 2 new, correct battery cables.. Going to be cleaning out the sediment bulb and fuel filter soon. Hopefully this will help, currently still won't start. I've been having trouble with the fuel side of things since I changed out the fuel pump, but it's been running since. Not sure really... Running out of things to replace under the hood.

Six volt systems should use #1 gauge cables.  Be sure to clean the battery post and cable connections with a wire brush.