Author Topic: Puller for rear break drum  (Read 1384 times)

rydog

• View Profile
    • Email
Puller for rear break drum
« on: July 07, 2016, 12:00:26 PM »
Maybe on wrong part of forum, but I need to pull my rear drum.  Book shows puller.  Are they available anywhere, or can one be made?

Bob L.

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Puller for rear break drum
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 08:49:25 PM »
I borrowed one from local O'Rielly store, a couple of times...they had 2.  Both same, yet one fit bolt circle better than other...mfgr. tolerances...had to work over holes with mill on 2nd one.  Both worked.  Be sure to lube threads and tip..Hammer for end helps, too... put alum block or 2nd hammer over end to hit...so hammer blow doesn't glance off hex on tool/dinging it up...

Added note:

Previous owner ground off the rivet heads, so drum could come off without removing the hub.  Sort of handy.  However, they didn't have way to hold it in place while install drum and wheel...could slip off alignment on nubs from rivets...those will bend drum if not in correct place.....  I threaded a couple rivet nubs with 10-32, and installed button head screws to hold drum in right place when wheel is removed...

Bob L.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 09:36:35 PM »
Borrow, rent or spend the money it takes to get a puller that bolts to EVERY stud. I learned this the hard way after warping 2 hub flanges....... and then getting a good puller to pull 2 more off a spare axle I had.

Now I'm looking for spares again.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

Vagabond Russ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 11:19:41 AM »
Borrow, rent or spend the money it takes to get a puller that bolts to EVERY stud. I learned this the hard way after warping 2 hub flanges....... and then getting a good puller to pull 2 more off a spare axle I had.

Now I'm looking for spares again.

I purchased one of these off eBay for my Henry J.  Worked great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-Universal-Wheel-Hub-Puller-Rear-Brake-Drum-Remover-Removal-Tool-/262444342722?hash=item3d1ae6ddc2:g:9F0AAOSwfC9XPWXM&item=262444342722&vxp=mtr

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 01:00:52 PM »
That is the standard,go to set to do the job.Have had mine many,many years
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

1952rord

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 12:25:16 PM »
i made a puller. i cut out the center of an extra rim i had then welded a piece of pipe to it small enough so the bolts or nuts depending on your hub would fit. i then welded a plate on the top of the pipe and drilled and tapped a 3/4x10 hole in the center of which i inserted a 3/4 inch bolt. you then bolt this to your hub screw in the bolt and pull the hub. i use an impact wrench which works great.
when i reassemble i use anticease so the next time you need to remove it they come off easy

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 01:39:42 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios