Author Topic: Clutch set  (Read 804 times)

Orphanauto

• View Profile
    • www.orphanauto.webs.com
    • Email
Clutch set
« on: December 03, 2016, 06:50:02 PM »
My clutch is going bad, and I was wondering, if the clutch set ,( Clutch disk , pressure plate, throw out bearing and pilot bushing) , were all the same for all years from the beginning in 47, to the end in 55? I would think they are, but was curious, I'm a hobbyist not a mechanic, so, It's more a curiosity than anything else. I would think its the same for all Kaiser and Frazer cars, although maybe not the 4 cylinder cars as in Henry J's . I don't know the vendors personally, so, no hard feelings on  one or the other, I noticed Willow run web site is down for maintenance, Kaiser Willys Jeeps place has a complete set for just over $200. but they list the Jeeps, yet, I read on a post it was the same for 47 Frazer. Would love to know the true history and mechanical facts for knowledge, as well as what to get, Thanks
1953 Kaiser Manhattan 4-door

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Clutch set
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 08:05:36 AM »
Generally speaking, pressure and clutch plates are interchangeable thru all years of the big Kaisers. The early cars used a nine spring clutch then with the 1949 models a three spring clutch was introduced. The 1949 parts list shows both units. In 1951, a six spring clutch was used. The 1951 parts list shows both the six and three spring clutches.

The throwout bearing has a different part number beginning with the 1951 models.

The linkage to each does differ by year. The 47-48 linkage differs from the 49-50 version which differs from the 51-55 set up.