Author Topic: car cover  (Read 2888 times)

Orphanauto

• View Profile
    • www.orphanauto.webs.com
    • Email
car cover
« on: October 18, 2009, 09:52:24 PM »
I've been thinking of getting a car cover for my 53 Manhattan, as my car sits in my shop between the Packard, and the Studebaker. I only drive my cars on the weekend, ( I am a over the road truck driver and gone alot ) so they seem to get light dust throughout the week or so that I am gone to work. I have seen some on ebay, kinda cheap, around 39.95, or so. I don't need anything fancy, just was wondering, has anyone bought one, or anyone know where I can get a good, but not too pricey? I was thinking the cheap ones on ebay may not really fit right, as the pictures for all their models is the same picture. any ideas or help would be appreciated, thanks, Ron..
1953 Kaiser Manhattan 4-door

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: car cover
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 01:12:50 AM »
As long as your cars are inside the cheap covers should do a good job of keeping your cars clean.  I have a few of them myself.  They are universal and not like a custom cover but should do the job well.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

LittlePegasus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 10:50:18 PM »
Anyone have a suggested brand and "model" car cover for a Manhattan?   I bought a cheap one a few years ago.  It fits tight/awkwardly around the mirrors and I had to cut a whole out of the cover for the antenna.  I want to replace it with something that fits better. 

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 09:14:25 AM »
I've been using half of a surplus parachute on my car since it came back from the painter and really like it for a variety of reasons. I did have to put a magnet at each corner to keep the  breeze from blowing it off when the doors are open.
Interestingly, a few weeks ago Hemmings online featured a mega collector receiving an award and showed a row of his cars covered in parachutes.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 09:16:34 AM »
I just went to Walmart or O'Reillys and got one, one that fits large SUV's should cover down the sides.  Antennas probably need unscrewed and kept inside? 
No old cars owned.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 01:19:11 PM »
I bought a brand on line called "RainX" and it worked well on my 51 K. It was soft on the inside and would not mar the
finish. I bought one listed for a 50's Cadillac and it fit even over the antenna and mirrors. It was inexpensive  and I used
it in the garage for a dust cover like you are doing. A size for a SUV is probably what is required for a 50's car.

Bobm90

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 11:04:11 PM »
Those 39.99 covers aren't bad as long as they are used inside, I have had several for a small car that i kept outside, the sun destroys them but if you get the right size and use it for a dust cover they will work well, they have elastic around the bottom front and rear and a cotton lining to prevent scratching the paint, the ones I bought were suppose to have 7 layers and a life time warrantee
1931 Model A Ford Deluxe Coupe
1959 Mercury 4 Dr
1958 Chevrolet Bel Air 2 Dr
1959 Morris Minor 1000 2 Dr
1954 Kaiser Manhattan 4 Dr

wilhelm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 11:12:03 PM »
My experience with car covers that aren't custom fit is to buy them large, maybe a size or two larger than they suggest for your car.  Mine always seem to be too short, especially if you want the cover to go below the bumpers on both ends.  On the antennae deal, some companies enclose a donut to put around a hole that you poke for your antennae.  I suppose that is ok, but still requires care when you put the cover on so the antennae doesn't poke it's own hole. 

My latest cover is a Rain-X and it seems to be pretty good.  I like their strap system to help hold it on.  I'm still waiting for the perfect cover to be for sale.  It seems like none of them are great. 

But, you mentioned you wanted one for inside use, so most will work for you.  But for outside use, it becomes more complicated with wind and rain.  To really get by on the cheap inside, you might like the large, transparent plastic covers.  That is what I use if I only want a dust cover for inside use.
1952 Kaiser Manhattan
1947 Studebaker Champion
1952 Studebaker 2R-5 Pickup
1955 DeSoto Firedome
1955 DeSoto Firedome Sportsman 2-dr ht

LittlePegasus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 12:25:48 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback

Rick