Author Topic: MN Auction in September will have 4 KF's (Vanderbrink)  (Read 3175 times)

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
MN Auction in September will have 4 KF's (Vanderbrink)
« on: August 04, 2013, 07:45:10 AM »
Yvette sent me an email that there will be the "Hafker" Collection at auction in rural MN I believe in Sept. Listed 4 KF's.  3 1951's "but one has a continental kit" which probably means Virginian and a 51 Frazer.   Schedule is kind of tight so not sure I can go.  I will post the link later.  I am in northern Wisconsin and my Internet is weak.  Looked like a fun auction with lots of orphans. 

Just for fun, I always wanted a bathtub Nash Ambassador.  49-51. I have been to a couple of auctions where they were but could not pull the trigger.  It's not that they are styling tour de forces, but they are iconic "artifacts" of the time. 
No old cars owned.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: MN Auction in September will have 4 KF's (Vanderbrink)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 07:51:11 AM »
http://www.vanderbrinkauctions.com/auctions_details.php?detail=136&allimages=NO

KAISER-FRAZER: 1951 Kaiser 4dr Sedan, Older Restore, 1951 Kaiser 4dr Sedan, 1951 Kaiser Manhattan 4dr sedan, Frazer Sedan for parts,..

NASH-RAMBLER-AMC: 1951 Nash Ambassader Super 4dr Sedan-Older Restore, 1950 Nash Ambassador 4dr Sedan-Older restore, Nash Statesman 4dr Sedan, 1950 Nash Ambassador Super 4dr Sedan, and more..

1966 AMC Rambler 2dr Sedan, Marlin for parts… Multiple Rambler Classic 2 & 4dr Sedan, Convertibles, Wagons, Models 550, 660, 770, 990 from 1963-1966 including- 1964 Rambler 770 Conv., 1965 Rambler 770 Convertible, 1965 Rambler 770 Classic 2dr HT, V8 and Rare Dual Shifters, 1964 Rambler Station Wagon, and more…
No old cars owned.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 10:23:01 AM »
Thanks for posting. It's in Donnelly, MN (far west / central) which is quite a ways from me. The auction outfits don't always know what they're selling - case in point here "1951 Kaiser Manhattan" which us KFers should know by now does not exist. The one with the continental kit also has the black hood ornament indicating it could be a '52 Virginian but there are no 'Virginian' scripts on it.  It still could be. Barrington made a Continental kit for the '51 Kaiser  so just because it has one does not necessarily mean it's a Virginian.
I remember when Radke(?) Auctions did the Zimmerman collection here back in '02 the auction kept referring to the '51 Frazer as a 'Manhattan' but  it was a four door sedan.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 03:03:21 PM »
I was a close friend of Bill's and became acquainted with him when he lived next to the Kennedy's on Cape Cod (yes, his property adjoined theirs). Bill was primarily a Hudson man but knew the value of any orphan, owning and driving many different cars over the years.

The black 51K in the auction is a good car and should run and drive without too much effort. It is a 51...the previous owner added the kit and black ornament barrel.

I drove the grey Nash while at the Manitowoc convention, and used the green 55 Nash as my every day driver for a few months. The red Rambler convertible was Bill's Hershey car because it has reclining seats and was his traveling hotel. The green Jet was his other driver and took him across the country on many occasions.

A funny story. He and I went west to pick up the green 58 Edsel, using a 70 Buick as the tow car. Once connected, the Buick's coil springs were too weak to support the Edsel so we swapped cars and towed the Buick home with the Edsel. We got alot of funny looks from other motorists!

I plan to place a proxy bid on one or two of the cars.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 08:19:31 AM »
I see now this was brought up previously and commented on.  I apoligize for not recognizing it (thread) before.  I would like to go because I am pretty sure the cars will not sell for much. I believe I googled the town and it is a bit remote.

Most of Yvette's auctions allow on line bidding so for those few cars of perceived higher value - like the Packard Woody - they will be probably be purchased by Internet buyers.

I have monitored some auctions where perfectly restorable cars went to the crusher. Crusher bids are the starting bids in these auctions and on line you see that figure repeated over and over.   To keep the auction moving, Yvette will simply ask if there is any interest and if not, she will say sold and move on.
No old cars owned.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 06:11:21 PM »
Very nice looking '51 Frazer crest.  Those are hard to come by, if it is NOS.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 04:43:35 PM »
The online bidding is open for the auction. Bids are a bit thin for the KFs...

http://www.vanderbrinkauctions.com/online_auction.htm

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 10:29:14 AM »
I want to go to that auction so bad. When you see all the KF's, Hudsons Nashs', and the somewhat remote location I just feel there will be a lot of under $1000 cars, and several may go to the crusher for lack of interest.
No old cars owned.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 10:31:58 AM »
Yvette is also gearing up for the Lambrecht auction in Nebraska. She won't short shrift this one but to use an analogy, this will be like a football team playing a team they are supposed to beat a week before a major opponent.  The players concentration on the game they are supposed to win won't be as focused as the big game, so she may be willing to move through this auction fairly quickly, resulting in lower prices for buyers. 

I looked through the entire auction.  The cars with basically no bids all have the same bidder g****d, which must be the crusher and they are not revealing crusher price at this time, but the day of auction, the bid will jump to $250 or so, and that signifies crusher price.

I am amazed at his love of Hudsons and this represents a golden opportunity for the Hudson collector, especially those in the club that whin about the lack of cars left out there. I know this is a KF forum, but he really went for the independents and basically within a defined period of 1949-1954ish.

The 51 Frazer sedan is not garnering much interest. The 51 "Virginian" if that is what that is in fact, has a $600 bid so somebody is buying it, it will get a new home.

I sure wish I could go just to observe. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 11:17:33 AM by Roadmaster49 »
No old cars owned.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 02:51:15 PM »
Many years ago, the KFOCI had a national meet in Manitowoc, WI. Bill and I attended and he asked me to ride along as we went to pick up his latest acquisition, the gray 51 Nash that's pictured in the auction. As I recall, we had to go somewhere near Appleton to get the car, which I drove back to the meet while he drove the green Hudson Jet. On the way back, the skies darkened and rain started falling...quite heavily. We eventually made it back to the meet site only to learn that we had driven thru a tornado, albeit a weak one. And I thought the front end of the Nash was worn out because I couldn't keep the car moving in a straight line!

And yes, many of the cars will bring no better than scrap price, mainly due to the remote location. A sad end to a nice collection...