Author Topic: '48 Frazer Manhattan Rear Brakes  (Read 2550 times)

jimbojimme

• View Profile
    • Email
'48 Frazer Manhattan Rear Brakes
« on: November 23, 2009, 08:40:04 AM »
I've had a post in the past concerning removal of the rear brake drum/hubs and have still had no success.  The emergency brake is off and I've backed off the shoes by adjusting the cam.  The wheels turn and are free.  Ive tried using a hub puller with no success even with heat from a propane torch.  A garage nearby said they can get them off using an acetylene torch.  I have warped the drum early in my efforts to get it off and now looking for some replacement drum/hubs for the rear.  Does anyone have any for sale or know where I can locate them?  I need the left side but think I may be better off replacing both sides.  Any guidance would be appreciated.  Thanks, Jim Harvey :(

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: '48 Frazer Manhattan Rear Brakes
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 09:06:51 AM »
This sounds like a part you may be able to get from Bill Brown, known as "Kaiser Bill."  Go to www.kaiserbill.com and  I believe there is a link there to contact him.  There are other club vendors too but Bill has a lot of parts cars so he me be a good "first stop" as you look for the parts.

1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: '48 Frazer Manhattan Rear Brakes
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 06:31:25 PM »
I had extreme difficulty with the right back side on one of my '51 Frazer hardtops.  I got the drum to break lose with the hub puller, but then could not pull it off due to the brake shoes being broken and binding it up.  I then kept turning the puller to force the hub off and it worked; however somehow apparently I ruined the axle shaft threads and had to get another axle shaft and I got that from Rudy Phillps and he should be a source for drums if you cannot get in touch with Kaiser Bill.
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan