Author Topic: First show of the season  (Read 1556 times)

thej63

• View Profile
    • Email
First show of the season
« on: June 05, 2017, 05:51:20 PM »
Dusted off the Golden Dragon this weekend despite the threat of possible rain showers and attended our first ever show Sunday. There were 4 judging categories of stock, modified, late model and British. Judging was done by a peer structure with all entrants getting to cast their ballots.

The Kaiser was very well received and drew a lot of attention and questions. Stock was the largest category and we ended up placing along side some stiff competition. The other top 4 were a flawless ford fairlane skyliner, a flawless 57 bel air, 67 gto convertible and an original paint un-restored 31 ford cabriolet.

The rear main seal is leaking but it's not too bad at the moment so I'm just going to ignore that for now. My only concern is as I was backing it into the garage at the end of the day, I put it in drive, pressed the gas and nothing happened...it just began to rev up and then suddenly popped into gear. Is it common for the hydramatic to occasionally be a bit finicky about shifting into gear? granted our parking situation is a little odd so it has to go between drive and reverse 3 or 4 times to get it parked so I figured it just didn't like doing that so many times in a short period of time. I'll be keeping my eye on it though. 

Pretty sure my wife got as many comments on her dress as we did on the car  ;)

1951 Kaiser Deluxe Golden Dragon - Arena Yellow (087)
AACA First JR - 2018

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: First show of the season
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 08:08:03 PM »
I would be sure the transmission fluid is up to the correct level. It should be checked with the car running (in neutral), transmission warm and on a level surface. 

The transmission used in the 1951 cars employed a mechanical reverse, rather than a fluid coupling like the later cars. Switching quickly from a forward gear to reverse and back can cause momentary slippage.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 12:10:37 AM »
That is a rare beauty!  Congratulations.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

thej63

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 12:05:52 PM »
I would be sure the transmission fluid is up to the correct level. It should be checked with the car running (in neutral), transmission warm and on a level surface. 

The transmission used in the 1951 cars employed a mechanical reverse, rather than a fluid coupling like the later cars. Switching quickly from a forward gear to reverse and back can cause momentary slippage.

Fluid levels are good, just checked them a few weeks ago. It has never done anything like that before (granted I had never asked it to switch between drive and reverse in quick succession like that before) so I figured that was the case but hearing it confirmed makes me feel better about it. Thank you.

Thank you! I was amazed how many people came up to us to say "I remember these!" or "I knew someone who worked at a kaiser dealer." We actually had one guy tell us about his father who immediately after the war went to a kaiser dealer to buy a car and was told that there was a 3 month back order and they required a $500 deposit so he went next door and bought a '47 Indian Chief instead.

My wife and I started laughing as one spectator walked by and while looking at the car exclaims to his wife "that's rare as shit!"...we joked about adding that quote to the bottom of a sign board for the car.  ;D

1951 Kaiser Deluxe Golden Dragon - Arena Yellow (087)
AACA First JR - 2018

Jerry Wilbeck

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 05:25:29 PM »
JAY63,
I'll bet he was speaking about your beautiful wife who was "dressed like a lady".
Very rare car, but a "lady" these days is even more rare and commendable.
I'd put that "rare as s--t" on the sign anyway!!  You should be very proud of both of them.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 05:28:52 PM »
Gorgeous, a well deserved trophy!
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 04:57:05 PM »

The car's not bad either!
No old cars owned.