Author Topic: 1953 Kaiser Engine - Hot Spot on Engine Block  (Read 817 times)

Geoff Hacker

• View Profile
    • Email
1953 Kaiser Engine - Hot Spot on Engine Block
« on: June 16, 2017, 06:16:30 PM »
Hi Gang...

I'm going thru checking out the drivetrain of the Kaiser I purchased and we did a thermal image scan of engine to check how uniform heating/cooling was.  Before doing this, we hot tanked and repaired the radiator (very nice shape to start with), replaced hoses and thermostat too.  There was one hot spot on the engine block.  It's on the driver's side around the second piston.  In the attached photos you can see the paint discoloration that has taken place over 28 years with previous owner.  The paint in the hot spot area is now grey.  In the thermal image of the same area on the engine, you can see the hot spot and how it matches the discoloration area of the block.  See attached photos.

When we finished taking the temp readings on both sides of the block after it had been running for some time, it was 190 degrees uniform - except for the hot spot.

The engine runs great otherwise.  Anyone know why this might be happening or if it should be addressed/fixed?

Thanks for any advice you can lend.

Geoff
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 06:19:55 PM by Geoff Hacker »

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: 1953 Kaiser Engine - Hot Spot on Engine Block
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 09:27:05 PM »
It looks like a head gasket going bad or a water passage is blocked at the head gasket...not uncommon. Either way, I would consider removing the head for a closer look.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1953 Kaiser Engine - Hot Spot on Engine Block
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 09:37:02 PM »
It looks like a head gasket going bad or a water passage is blocked at the head gasket...not uncommon. Either way, I would consider removing the head for a closer look.

Ditto, just heard a story this week about a Nash flathead with chronic overheat issues after 3 head gaskets. Turns out there was a fourth with some slightly different water passage holes that could be ordered........ depending on engine number. That cured it.

Less likely is a chunk of remaining casting sand.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu