Author Topic: Photo Gallery  (Read 1733 times)

Carl Eidsness

• View Profile
    • Email
Photo Gallery
« on: July 09, 2017, 04:28:44 PM »
Does anyone know of a photo gallery for KF cars?  I am not looking for the old factory black and white pictures, but rather newer, color pictures of restored or original cars, both interior and exterior.  If such a gallery does not exist as yet, might it be something worth while putting together to have on our site.

Carl Eidsness
1948 Kaiser Special
1959 Ford retractable hardtop convertible
1929 REO Flying Cloud coupe
1929 REO Flying Cloud sedan

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Photo Gallery
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 05:48:32 PM »
GOOGLE IT---YOU WILL FIND MORE THAN YOU EXPECTED

Carl Eidsness

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 07:24:48 AM »
Thank you Jake.  I really enjoyed looking at those.  I still think the idea of a photo gallery on, or linked to, our web site would be a good idea.  One where each car would have it's own folder or pages.  It would contain more information than just year and model of the car, for example color codes and names, number produced etc.  Ideally it would contain not only exterior shots from different angles but also plenty of interior shots showing finishing details.  Now that I am retired I would have time to work on something like that, but unfortunately I have no where close to the computer savvy such a project would require.

Carl
1948 Kaiser Special

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 08:11:44 AM »
I still think the idea of a photo gallery on, or linked to, our web site would be a good idea.  One where each car would have it's own folder or pages.  It would contain more information than just year and model of the car, for example color codes and names, number produced etc.

Members of the Kaiser-Frazer Owners Club receive a copy of the club handbook. It has all of this information in it and more.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Carl Eidsness

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 07:54:35 AM »
I did in fact rejoin the club after a 35 year absence, and I did finally get a CD copy of the handbook.  I can access parts, but not all of it.  I'm told it is not fully compatible with Apple computers like mine.  I can however read the table of contents but see nothing that sounds like it would be what I was talking about above.  I'll try to find someone with a PC I can borrow and try to see more of what is in there.

Speaking of CDs.  I also got the one with a history of KF for about $12.  The opening menu shows 3 items, a movie and 2 slide shows.  When I click on the movie I can watch it.  But clicking on the slide show tabs does nothing.  Tried on both my computer and my TV/DVD player, but nothing opens on either of them.  Any suggestions?

Carl
1948 Kaiser Special

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 10:51:10 AM »
I did in fact rejoin the club after a 35 year absence, and I did finally get a CD copy of the handbook.  I can access parts, but not all of it.  I'm told it is not fully compatible with Apple computers like mine.  I can however read the table of contents but see nothing that sounds like it would be what I was talking about above.  I'll try to find someone with a PC I can borrow and try to see more of what is in there.

Speaking of Cd's.  I also got the one with a history of KF for about $12.  The opening menu shows 3 items, a movie and 2 slide shows.  When I click on the movie I can watch it.  But clicking on the slide show tabs does nothing.  Tried on both my computer and my TV/DVD player, but nothing opens on either of them.  Any suggestions?

Carl

I think it's questionable that going to a pc will solve your issues. I have the same partial accessability issues running the CD's on my pc, so apparently they're not fully compatible with some of them either.

I thought it odd that some info came right up and other "links" were dead, usually a CD is all formatted the same. I'd guess I couldn't access at least half the listed content if that much, and wasn't inclined to chase down compatibility issues

As for the photo gallery, I agree. At least for the Aero, written descriptions of something as simple as "gray striped seat cloth" are too ambiguous to show the different cloth weave & stripe details, and that's just 4yrs of production.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

Carl Eidsness

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 03:56:43 PM »
Sorry Mark,
                  that you are also having problems.  I thought it was just a Mac problem.  But if we have this issue, I'm beginning to suspect others probably do as well.  I know far too little about the ins and outs of the digital world to pass any judgement or know what has to be done.  But I don't know why we have to create separate folders and save etc.  Why couldn't it simply be possible to put the CD in the player/computer, click on the section/chapter one wishes to read, and have it open up?

As for the photo gallery I was suggesting/envisioning, I know that a lot of what I was suggesting is already available, some of it here, some of it there, some easy to find, some not so easy.  Some in one form, some in another.  I could imagine a giant photo album/scrapbook combination, probably stored in the cloud, with a link on our web site.  To be most enjoyable and effective it should be well organized.  First division by production year, second division according to make, then model, then body style etc.  Then below that a page(s) for each car.  It could contain anywhere from 1 to 50 pictures, before, during, and after restoration.  Exterior and Interior.  Big picture and close up detail.  And there should be an explanation of what one was looking at.  What are those colors, what is the trim fabric?  Is it original, an exact replica, something close, or the owners fantasy?

Such a resource could be used as a pleasant pass time, an invaluable aid to restoring a car, a source for information and pictures for anyone wanting to do a presentation (as one of our members so successfully did a short time ago, helping him win awards he might not otherwise have received).  What I'm talking about would be a lot of work, but it couldn't and probably shouldn't be done all at once.  Like a traditional photo album it could be changed or added on to with the passage of time (its just a lot easier to insert a new page digitally than it was to tear apart an album, if even possible, and put in more pages).

Finally, if this really does already exist, and I'm just proposing reinventing the wheel, my apologies.

Carl
1948 Kaiser Special

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 05:32:50 PM »
As I recall it, many of the hyperlinks on the CD referenced drives which were local to the machine they were created on and therefore, did not work on my computer. I just view it in Windows Explorer and open the files manually.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 06:11:38 AM »
As I recall it, many of the hyperlinks on the CD referenced drives which were local to the machine they were created on and therefore, did not work on my computer. I just view it in Windows Explorer and open the files manually.

Taking a closer look I see that you're correct. It appears all the info listed in detail in the table of contents can be found by wading through the "Handbook" folder.
I also (for the first time) followed the instructions for copying & reassembling the CD contents on my laptop, which didn't change a thing. I've never run a info source with a detailed table of contents separated and disconnected from the information, and apparently not working on some Mac's and PC's, it's usually one or the other. My laptop is old but it's a lot newer that the updated handbook. All in all though, the CD has a lot of good info.

As for the gallery, I doubt if very many people would want to wade through the many (many) hundreds of disassembly & reassembly photos I have.
Detailed photos of completed projects would be nice though.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

Carl Eidsness

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 08:15:53 AM »
I have a Mac Book Pro computer, so no windows explorer.  Does any savvy computer fellow out there have an idea as to how I can access everything on the Handbook disk?

As to wading through a lot of restoration pics, I agree, most would probably not be interested in looking at many of those, although some might of a particularly difficult process that the restorer had found a good solution for.  But I'm guessing that could be handled by first having a page of thumbnail prints pop open when a car was clicked.  Then the viewer could move to the first restored pic, click on it, and move forward from there.  Or perhaps not have all those restoration pics at all.  Maybe just the contact info of the car owner and he could be contacted if a member in the restoration process wanted to pick his brain.  I'm not saying I have a fully developed plan of how to make a perfect gallery, but I do feel something along the lines I am suggesting would be an asset for the club.  At least one of the people working on such a project would have to be a knowledgeable geek.

I appreciate you fellows taking time to respond.

Carl
1948 Kaiser Special