Author Topic: Carburetor Rebuild - Stuck Check Ball  (Read 1400 times)

Slobber Monkey

• View Profile
    • Email
Carburetor Rebuild - Stuck Check Ball
« on: September 06, 2017, 03:16:02 PM »
I'm in the process of rebuilding the carb, it's a Carter YF 833SB. The car hasn't been running for at least 3 years. I've got everything pulled off and cleaned except for what looks like a check ball on the underside of the main body (see picture). I'm assuming the check ball is something that needs to be replaced and the seat cleaned? I can't for the life of me get it out. I've tried applying cleaner, penetrating oil, heating it with a heat gun, banging the body on a block of wood, freezing it, but it won't budge. I'm also assuming if it does come out, that it comes out the bottom of the main body. I contacted Mike's Carburetors and he suspected someone put the check ball in to block off the vacuum going to the distributor advance and if so, they probably beat it in to stay. He wanted me to send him a picture which I did but I haven't heard back.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe

Slobber Monkey

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Carburetor Rebuild - Stuck Check Ball
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 11:39:54 AM »
Fid, Thank you for all the great information. I do have a digital copy of the service manual. I read through the posts you provided and I tried again last night to bang out the ball with little success. I used a hammer with a few different sized nail sets and it moved a little but I'm starting to scar up the seat. It's crazy how stuck that thing is. I think I'm done trying to get it out and am currently looking for a replacement main body.

Slobber Monkey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 01:02:45 PM »
So, I got my hands on another 833SB and I can't get the ball out of that one either. Now I'm wondering if it is even supposed to come out? Has anyone here rebuilt an 833SB and know if it indeed does come out?

njpatera

• MSN Messenger - pateraclass@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 06:37:34 AM »
I have personally not gotten into the Carters...yet...mostly teapot Holleys;-/  you can try this guy. He's answered a few questions I've had in the past until you get some input from the experienced hands...
http://www.carburetor-parts.com/YF-YFA_c_147.html
Regards,
Noah

'54 Darrin
'55 Victoria
'56 Victoria
-'59 Galaxie/Fairlane Convert.
'61 Falcon 2dr wagon
-'62 Galaxie 500XL Convertible

Member #5954
The Nifty Fifties NE Ohio
Drummer: Moving in Stereo, Cleveland’s Tribute to The CARS