Author Topic: 1953 Kaiser Mahattan  (Read 1062 times)

Mr Manhattan

• View Profile
    • Email
1953 Kaiser Mahattan
« on: May 04, 2018, 10:30:09 PM »
https://yakima.craigslist.org/cto/d/1953-kaiser-manhattan-four/6578064063.html

It is a clean one. But everybody that wants one has one ))

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1953 Kaiser Mahattan
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 09:29:25 PM »
Not sure about original seats.  No KFOCI member will pay $18,500.
No old cars owned.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 01:09:23 AM »
Seats are not original but look nicely done. 

54manhattan13

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 11:04:38 AM »
Why are KFOCI Members so against people placing higher values on their cars?

I really can't understand why we devalue the objects we claim to appreciate.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 11:30:57 AM »
While mainstream Kaiser-Frazer and related products don't come up for sale that often (the Darrin, convertibles and hardtops and Dragons are types I don't consider mainstream; 1953 Kaiser Manhattans, 1947 Frazers, and Aero Willys sedans from the 1950's are what I consider examples of mainstrem) but when they do, there is little demand.  This can be a good thing for those wanting to get into the hobby but don't have the money to spend.  The people who complain about the prices K-F built cars fetch are quite often the people who paid too much for one to start with and are shocked that they can't flip it for a huge profit.  Rarity in the old car hobby doesn't necessarily equate to $$$$$$$$$$$ as it might with some other vehicles. 

Carpenter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 03:01:57 PM »
One-of-a-kind should do pretty good though, huh?  I saw a recent TV auction of "rares", with a Plymouth Duster convertible bringing $2.3 million, and a red Dodge Charger convertible bringing $2.1 million.  I think both had less than 100 miles on them.  I think they were 72s.

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 03:08:34 PM »
Without calling anyone out, this site seems to be visited by a few who seems to gain pleasure from negative comments and "self-pontification" about KF cars and their values which they frankly know very little about.  I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, but sometimes you want to just say, "geeze why don't you just buy a car and join the KFOCI?" Enjoy the hobby and the marque for what they are.   

I've hoped ignoring these "experts" would cause them to go away and take their venomous attitude with them to another club's web site, but they seem to keep hanging on.   >:(

What's all the fuss about the values of KF cars anyway?  Come on folks, lets think before posting negative comments and opinions...we're better than this!   ;)

Mike
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 03:48:55 PM by mbflemingkf »
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 08:51:38 AM »
Mike:
I want to be sensitive to your history with KF, and I know you mean ME when you point out people with negative attitudes about pricing.   You want me to go away.   Obviously, my perspective can not compete with a #4818 member.  I will go away.

But, not without a salient observation.  I stated "NO KFOCI member will pay that."  I did not say anyone won't pay that, and I know that some KF products are collected by a greater community, such as Darrins, convertibles, Virginians and so on. 

It's a culture thing with KFOCI members, early members like yourself.  Back when you guys started the clubs, and as evidenced by that 1950 Frazer hardtop, KF flagships cars could be purchased as cheaply as $25.  Stashes became common.  The core of the club, many of which have passed away, could have a 20 car collection for $500. 

And parts were cheap to keep them running.  There is not a lot of found money in the club.  I would even hazard to guess that the Beckers purchased their 2 flagship cars for pennies on the dollar, for what they are now worth. 

Therefore my comment is a reflection on the cheapness of the club to purchase projects and even nice cars, to continue the club's obvious stewardship responsibility.  You can disagree with that, or be puzzled by it, but part of the reason any old car club is created is to maintain the cars of interest, and their identification to a greater community. 

Many many KF's are out there languishing as viable projects or even nice cars that can be purchased, but in my opinion, as evidenced by the lack of purchase of virtually all of these cars - the old guard of the club is super cheap.  They can not conceive of paying the amounts of money some of these folks are asking, or worse yet, some of these $15,000 to $20,000 cars being offered are owned by the "old guard of the KFOCI" and cars they purchased and restored for $25, and restored for $1500 25 years ago or more - they now want $15,000 to $20,000.

I can add on, I know you find it distasteful, but if an early member number member offered one of these $25 cars, since restored, to another early number member for $15,000 to $20,000, the other early number member would be incredulous! 

Part of the reason that our excellent parts providers still have large stashes of parts is because KFOCI members are not willing to pay a reasonable price for those parts.  When I parted out a Polar Grey 1949 Virginian, I tried to save the unique parts.  I had some Virginian guys, who are strictly lurkers on this forum and not active, say they would buy my parts for pennies.  They did not want to "overpay" for parts.  I sold some parts for $5 and ended up losing hundreds of dollars by not valuing postage/shipping costs correctly.  I was offering the parts strictly in a stewardship sense, because I knew how valuable the Virginian parts were, and did not want to see them crushed and of no use.

There are 3 Virginians in a Colorado yard, one of which is likely quite restorable, but there is NO INTEREST in them, not enough to pay to purchase and transport.   The rare 666 53 Dragon show car went unpurchased for years in southern Illinois, because it was priced "too high" for the members that were used to paying $25 for a Dragon.  A beautiful Carribbean Coral 1951 went unpurchased for over a year on this forum, price dropping continuously, that car had low original mileage, and no member was interested.  There are dozens of examples of KFOCI "cheapness", so I am not sure why you are so offended by my statement, and want me to "go away."   

Cheap, the early number members are cheap.  That's why I stated "no KFOCI member will buy that car."   As a Cadillac LaSalle Club member, and a Buick Club member, I get the monthly periodicals where the average price of a FOR SALE Cadillac is probably $24,000, with few offered below $10,000 and many offered in the $45,000 to $85,000 range and they change hands.  Few cars go unsold.  Member to member, they are willing to pay for an excellent car. 

Member to member in the KFOCI, without anyone providing real time proof, I am saying no way.  Even Darrins, many of which were snatched up when they were not as hot as they are now, represent costs which many KFOCI members would not pay to own another one. 

Newer members like myself, could purchase a $1000 car, restore it because we like restoring, and offer it at a huge loss to members with early membership numbers, and get no interest.  Too expensive.  KFOCI members are caught in a time warp.  It is dangerous to paint with a broad brush, but I am as offended by your statement, as you are of mine.  A forum is a place to comment.  If you would prefer, ask Chris to "rule up" the forum to only allow censored or "friendly" comments that are not offensive to anyone. 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 09:03:59 AM by Roadmaster49 »
No old cars owned.