Author Topic: Greetings to all!  (Read 3875 times)

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Greetings to all!
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2020, 01:00:07 PM »
I know what you mean.  Barbara and I were looking off and on for a Henry J since around 2012 and either they were 4 cylinders (didn't want a four, having driven one many years ago) needed too much work or in the wrong part of the country.  We found our 1952 in Yakima thanks to Jim Betts (club member in Yakima) and I drove it home over the mountains crossing the Cascades at White Pass.  In the 90's that day and no complaints from the car, with 26.24 MPG recorded for the trip.  Turns out it came off the production line on or around my birthday.

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2020, 02:14:30 PM »
I think a Henry J may be in my future one day as well.  I love driving a three on the tree.  Had a '62 Plymouth Savoy years ago...225 Slant six, three on the tree...I loved that car...Nellie was her name.  She was kind of a junker, but I only paid $700 for it, drove it for about 5 years until the frame cross member broke.  About 2 to 3 years after I bought it, the previous owner showed up at my door, wanting to buy it back...told him "NO WAY!"  :D
51 Kaiser Deluxe

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2020, 05:02:09 PM »
Our baby is on transport and on its way to us...should be here in about 4-5 hours!

ExCITed!!!!  :)
51 Kaiser Deluxe

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2020, 11:03:19 PM »
Let Us know More When You Get it...
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2020, 11:16:36 PM »
It's here...arrived in the condition it left Country Classics.  It's beautiful!  Now under wraps and put to bed till warmer weather...

One weird thing...when we took it for a test drive, the headlights worked.  After coming off the covered carrier, they didn't.  My guess the bumps and jostling of transport.

Any ideas where to look first for the disconnect?
51 Kaiser Deluxe

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2020, 01:19:10 PM »
A good starting point is a check of connections for tightness and corrosion.  You have an old 6 volt system on the car (and it's positive ground, like early 1950's Chrysler Corporation cars).  Grounds must be tight and clean or you' may get intermintent contact. 

Konrad, you are not far from a great source of ideas.  Dale Hammon in Beloit may have ideas on your situation.  If you got the 2019 Membership Roster with your new member stuff, he's in there.  Otherwise, give Barbara & I a call and we'll give you contact information.

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2020, 06:03:47 PM »
Thanks Jack!  For the moment I'm not going to worry too much about it as the car is under wraps until nicer weather (and until I can clear space in my garage for it...if my damn step-son would get all of his crap out of there, I'd have the room...lol).

At any rate, once the weather gets a bit nicer I'm going to start going through and looking at the various issues I have to take care of to make it road worthy.  :)
51 Kaiser Deluxe

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2020, 07:58:17 PM »
If the parking lights work but headlights don't, check the dimmer switch. The switch can get stuck between low and high beam causing neither to work. If you have no lights anywhere (head or tail lights), then it's more than likely the headlight switch.

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2020, 10:57:58 PM »
It's weird because when we went to test drive it, neither the brake nor rear turn signal lights worked, but the headlights and front blinkers did, as well as the interior lights.  Now the headlights are kaput too, though the interior lights still work.  I did try the dimmer switch, hoping to at least get high beams, but no soap...
51 Kaiser Deluxe

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2020, 11:59:41 PM »
I have a Standby Headlight Switch to swap Out. You can get Dust & intermediate Problems.
I clean then put back in then back to Normal. 

Long Trips I take Extras Parts, Just in Case.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 12:04:27 AM by G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon) »
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2020, 07:59:34 AM »
1951 Kaisers used a pressure switch that's mounted at a junction near the master cylinder. You can see it on the frame rail below the voltage regulator. Replace it and your brake lights will work. Standard Products switch number SLS-27 will do the job. Plenty on eBay.

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2020, 08:40:49 AM »
Thanks again Joe!

Damn...I love this place.  :)

Edited to add...Ebay's vehicle compatibility selection says that part is not compatible with the 51 Deluxe...

Edited to add again...hmm...some sellers do say it's compatible, others show an SLS-25 as being compatible...and a few state the SLS-27T as being compatible...

Are they all essentially interchangeable?  Is one better in any way than the others?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 09:58:14 AM by konrad »
51 Kaiser Deluxe

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2020, 10:41:34 AM »

rrdcorvair

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2020, 11:12:57 AM »
As far as trusting Ebays 'parts compatibly I have seen lately a listing showing a 1955 Chevy front fender as working on a Kaiser, as does a 1951 Ford door.  Ebays listings are getting like an old J.C. Whitney catalog, real suspect.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2020, 01:16:06 PM »
I agree rrdcorvair.  I've learned never to trust what someone on ebay says.
The brake light switch is also available at NAPA it's an SL-134.  I just replaced the one on my '51 Kaiser last summer.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios