Author Topic: La Dawri on Ebay, Kaiser powered!  (Read 915 times)

Bob L.

• View Profile
    • Email
La Dawri on Ebay, Kaiser powered!
« on: April 13, 2020, 08:29:56 PM »
Saw this tonight...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1951-La-Dawri-Speedster/184229229120?hash=item2ae4eaf240:g:TTEAAOSwoZZefpai

Odd bird for sure, thought the power/gearbox might flip a switch or two....

Looking at only photo, some how it appears reversed from my 54 Manhattan...intake/exhaust on left side of block if radiator is at front...  mine is on passenger side under S Charger...   Not that familiar with other models...perhaps earlier engine?   Guess everything about this offering is very different!

Anyway, passing it along...

Bob L.

Bob L.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: La Dawri on Ebay, Kaiser powered!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 08:44:00 PM »
The engine in this car is K-F but NOT the 226 cubic inch Kaiser and Frazer engine.  The motor looks different from what's in a Kaiser because it's the 161 cubic inch 6-cylinder Henry J motor and the body may be attached to an HJ chassis.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 10:33:27 PM »
That needs some finishing but is a pretty good buy for a rare kit car that is Henry J powered.  It would fit right in to our modified class.  The car seems to be in New Mexico.  I saw the parts for installing the headlights in a box in the car.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 06:41:49 AM »
I think this car is very well priced. This particular car is being sold by a museum in New Mexico as surplus to their collection. It sits on a Ford chassis but, as previously noted, is using a Henry J 161 engine for the power plant. The windshield may look like early Corvette but it's actually a GMC truck unit flipped upside down. I find it interesting that the builder chose to stretch the fan and pulley system away from the block rather than simply shroud the radiator.

The wheel covers are HJ units with small spinners added.

Sold as kits, owners could choose the chassis and engine to be used. A quick search yielded one that sold at Barrett-Jackson for $48K, but it had been restored with a more modern power plant.