Author Topic: '51 Traveler project at CA auction  (Read 1853 times)

ChrisBcritter

• View Profile
'51 Traveler project at CA auction
« on: April 15, 2020, 05:53:47 PM »
This looks pretty complete and has an automatic; either an ambitious restoration or a very good parts car:
https://bid.bidfastandlast.com/ui/auctions/49067/3442901

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: '51 Traveler project at CA auction
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 05:53:46 AM »
Lots and Lots of work needed!!
54 Darrin # 81
53 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe
51 Custom Henry J (Concept Car?)

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 07:05:26 AM »
Those of us here in the rust belt salivate when we see a car like this. While it might look like a big project - restoring the interior won't be easy or cheap - a body this solid on a Traveler is a rare find in these parts. Unfortunately, the cost of transport usually means most of us here in rust central will have to stick to enjoying the pictures.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 10:34:28 AM »
Take a good look at the firewall tags.  Large tag indicates its a 512 for model and 5 for body type...correct for a 1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4-door Traveler (5125).  However, body serial number tag below it, looks like a 5121 for model designation and the number is way too high for a Traveler serisl number.  Looking at the condition of the rivets and "patina" makes me wonder if the goof wasn't factory in origin.

ChrisBcritter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 05:52:54 AM »
Sold for $475 plus fees. Anyone here get it?

Cortes121

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 02:02:52 AM »
Take a good look at the firewall tags.  Large tag indicates its a 512 for model and 5 for body type...correct for a 1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4-door Traveler (5125).  However, body serial number tag below it, looks like a 5121 for model designation and the number is way too high for a Traveler serisl number.  Looking at the condition of the rivets and "patina" makes me wonder if the goof wasn't factory in origin.

Is the air cleaner standard for a ‘51 traveler? I don’t believe I’ve seen that type of air cleaner before...
- Anthony

1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1955 Packard Clipper Custom

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 10:34:46 AM »
There are a couple of pictures I can't open.  The ones I can open for a better look don't show an air cleaner.  1951-52 Kaiser air cleaners look like the one in the picture group below

joefrazer

• View Profile

Cortes121

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 12:45:11 AM »

This is very interesting - is a goof like this uncommon? Not sure if the picture of the serial showed up for you, it reads 512 - 058390 - does this provide any more info?

- Anthony

1951 Kaiser Deluxe

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 10:01:45 AM »
Kaiser-Frazer door post serial number plates are sequential based on the series (such as K512 for Kaiser Deluxe).  The numbers reflect 2-door sedans, 4-door sedans, Travelers and other body types.  The Body Serial Number information (either at the bottom of the Body Information Tag or on a separate serial number tag below the Body Information Tag).    The body serial number lists how many bodies of the particular type (like a 4-door Traveler) were produced at the time this body was made and is a fairly good indicator of when the body was built.  The only snag on this is that finished bodies went into the factory body bank (holding area) waiting for scheduling through the final assembly area.  Some bodies were used within a day or two of completion while others waited months to end up a finished car.

My archives have factory based information on how many cars of each body type were produced during the model years 1947-1952 and summary information by series for 1953; because Henry J, Allstate and Dragon types were built this works fine; Carolina, deLuxe and Manhattans are lumped together between 2-door, 4-door and Traveler models.

Cortes121

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2020, 12:47:45 AM »
Interesting - so with this Travelers  body number so high it falls outside the range of known produced 4 door traveler bodies? Have you seen another such goof like this before? Would be interesting to know when in the year the body was supposedly built (schedule # and such) and find another car with a similar time frame and see where the numbering is off...
- Anthony

1951 Kaiser Deluxe

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2020, 05:53:41 AM »
I went back through the pictures which are still up on the auction site at the link given.  The car is promoted as a 1951 Kaiser 4-door sedan, NOT a Traveler (although the car is a hatchback) and the body serial number shown in the photo group is for a 5121 model which was a 1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4-door sedan.  The body serial number is consistent with 4-door sedan production.  I suggest you check the build numbers given in KFOCI HANDBOOK Version 5.0 (on CD). 

It has been my experience over 45+ years with these cars that it has happened where an owner or restroation shop has lost the original tags and slapped something else on the car to take its place.  I am guessing, based on currently available evidence that this is what happened here.

There is a "but" to this.  As is pointed out at various points in the Handbook, there were an unknown number (expected to be under 7,500 cars, all series and body types total) of leftover or work-in-process 1951 Kaiser cars that were re-tagged and re-worked into 1951 "Kaiser Virginian" automobiles, with "Virginian" or "Traveler" fender script, continental tire kits (optional on all models but Travelers) and in many cases, two-tone paintwork.  These cars have door-post tags that have 1952 previxes and start with a "1" with the original serial number as the other group of digits.  when the later series 1952's came out (different tail lights, 1 piece windshield, different horn button, etc) theyr door post numbers began with "12" and started at "1" (as in K521-1200953 for the 953rd Kaiser of the deLuxe series).  Consult your copy of KFOCI HANDBOOK (I am assuming you are a club member) on CD (Version 5.0) show production counts based on all the factory monthly production statistics available when the version was released. by series and body type.  It will explain the situation better.

Cortes121

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2020, 12:30:41 PM »
Thanks for the breakdown! I am indeed a member and have been pouring over the CD as of late - great information that really highlights the oddness of Manufacturing and selling these cars. I noticed the hood ornament on this “Traveler” is missing the plastic, which I gather would have been possibly black plastic (to denote the Virginian trim?).
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 12:32:13 PM by Cortes121 »
- Anthony

1951 Kaiser Deluxe

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2020, 01:51:42 PM »
I noticed the hood ornament on this “Traveler” is missing the plastic, which I gather would have been possibly black plastic (to denote the Virginian trim?).

The body number and model number being K512... indicates it's a '51.  All the Virginians were reserialed as '52s so this one would've had the clear plastic on the hood ornament.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios