Author Topic: power conversion  (Read 1702 times)

OriginBeta

• View Profile
power conversion
« on: April 17, 2020, 01:12:04 PM »
Hello all!

First post here. Just started a build on 51 deluxe 2 door. Let me start with the most important of the info. I am not attempting to convert the entire vehicle to a 12v system, only converting ground.

The reason is simple enough, I want to be able to series a second 6v optima into the bay for an air ride system in the trunk. My over arching goal throughout this build is to ensure we do nothing that permanently changes or removes parts that are serviceable. I would like to only modify just far enough to accommodate and ensure that the vehicle can be easily returned if later she needs it.

That being said, does anyone have any guidance or feedback of items we may overlook or be unprepared for. She is fully setup in delco parts at the moment.

Nate

1951 Kaiser Deluxe 2 Door Sedan

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: power conversion
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 08:49:26 PM »
I converted my 49 to 12 volts because I could never get a reliable start out of it. My car will flood easy and the 6 volt wouldn’t spin hard/long enough to get passed that before the battery died. If you ever do go to 12 volts I can tell you what I did to get it converted including the original gages.
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1964 Ford Custom (Galaxie)
1960 Metropolitan

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: power conversion
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 06:33:35 AM »
Hello all!

First post here. Just started a build on 51 deluxe 2 door. Let me start with the most important of the info. I am not attempting to convert the entire vehicle to a 12v system, only converting ground.

The reason is simple enough, I want to be able to series a second 6v optima into the bay for an air ride system in the trunk. My over arching goal throughout this build is to ensure we do nothing that permanently changes or removes parts that are serviceable. I would like to only modify just far enough to accommodate and ensure that the vehicle can be easily returned if later she needs it.

"air ride"...I thought those old "boats" rode pretty nice the way they were

That being said, does anyone have any guidance or feedback of items we may overlook or be unprepared for. She is fully setup in delco parts at the moment.