Author Topic: 51 Instrument cluster/gauges  (Read 885 times)

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
51 Instrument cluster/gauges
« on: October 09, 2020, 10:53:06 PM »
So the instrument cluster/gauges on my 51 are silver in color, but I have also seen them offered in red.

Were there other colors, and what determined which color went in which car...or was it a dealer option when ordering?

Or were they all silver and what I've seen on Ebay just due to backing colors to make some of them appear red?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 02:29:27 AM by konrad »
51 Kaiser Deluxe

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 51 Instrument cluster/gauges
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 12:50:06 PM »
The color of the gages on a 1951 or 1952 Kaiser are the same.  Check out the exploded view of the instrument cluster in the 1951 Kaiser and Frazer Factory Shop Manual .  It's illustration 444 on page 323.  King-Seelet made generic gages that, as this illustration shows, have no lettering or numbers on them.  the actual markings are on the dial plate   Further the 1951 Kaiser Illustrated parts book shoes a similar illustration on page 130 as firugre 19-2.  The wording (Fuel, etc) and status (full, temperture in degrees F., etc) is on the dial.  There were no choices in color but King-Seeley, the vendor for the gages made the display in different colors as the same unit was used on other makes of car or light truck.  They were color coded for the different makes.  As the parts book shows in Section 19, there was only 1 combination when it came to gage color.

Hope this clears things up. 

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 05:34:14 PM »
Thanks Jack!

That does clear things up nicely.  I was confused by certain listings I've seen on Ebay regarding these gauges...
51 Kaiser Deluxe

rialto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 12:35:09 PM »
The 51 gauges are silver with orange pointers. The 53 gauges are black with white pointers. Sometimes you see them switched.