Author Topic: Sudden issue with doors, latches and locks...  (Read 549 times)

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
Sudden issue with doors, latches and locks...
« on: May 01, 2021, 01:44:37 AM »
How easy is it to remove the inner door panels?

So I stored my 51 Deluxe over the winter in a heated warehouse.  It wasn't touched in that time...picked it up about 2 weeks ago, reconnected the battery and it started fine, brought it home.

At the time I put it in storage, both door locks worked (2 door Deluxe) and both doors opened when locks were open/up.

Yesterday we were fixing to drive to a local small town for a downtown event they were having...passenger side door would not open when unlocked, neither inside nor outside handle.  Worked fine before storage...

Driver's side door, suddenly will no longer be locked when locked...I can still open the door when the lock post is down.

I will admit, when I got the car, neither door would lock, but both opened and closed, no problem.  Larry Barker suggested a couple of things to me and I got both locks working...a bit of WD-40 to the rescue...with both doors still working.

So, back to my original question (the above exposition put out in case anyone else has had a similar experience with their doors/locks).

I'm inferring I'll need to remove the inner door panels to identify and correct the issues.  Any help in identifying the problem, tips on removing the inner panels, would be greatly appreciated.  :)
51 Kaiser Deluxe

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sudden issue with doors, latches and locks...
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 09:03:09 AM »
Page 242 of the 1951 Kaiser and Frazer Shop manual lists the various things you need to take off (and suggested order of removal) to open up the inner door access to various functions in the door.  The Inner trim panel is attached to the door sheet metal with a series of hardware pieces that must be CAREFULLY removed from the inner door.  They can be pried off with a screwdriver but care must be taken or you will also take off the piece of hardware and it is not easy to put them back on.  I speak from experience with my 1951 Business Coupe on that as well as my 1952 Kaiser deLuxe 4-door sedan. 

Note that I took the panel off to replace window glass or fix window track issues rather than locks.  Never had a problem like you have with a 1951-52 Kaiser