Author Topic: 54 Mahattan Supercharger  (Read 2117 times)

Mr Manhattan

• View Profile
    • Email
54 Mahattan Supercharger
« on: November 05, 2010, 03:53:51 PM »
Can anyone tell me if the removel of the supercharger effects the performance of the engine, if so how ? I know the SC required a different dist,carb,and fuel pump. The one I am looking at, had the SC removed and the guy that owns it said the idle has be kept up high for the car to stay running .

Thanks In Advance .....Fred

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: 54 Mahattan Supercharger
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 04:37:50 PM »
My guess is that there's a vacuum leak somewhere or perhaps the distributor was changed or reset so that the timing is off enough to not allow the car to idle. If you just remove the S/C and leave everything else, the car will run just fine. That's what I did on my 54...actually, I just removed the belt, but the effect is the same.

kaiserkid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 06:48:46 PM »
My 54 doesn't have the supercharger right now but in the spring it will have! It runs just fine now and hopefully even better in the spring. My question is will I feel the power increase with the supercharger?

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 09:01:18 PM »
The S/C only kicks in when the gas pedal is pushed far enough down to actuate the switch in the airbox. That engages the magnet in the S/C unit that provides the boost. I can tell you that in my 54, I notice the difference. It's not V8 performance, but it is noticeable.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 10:02:34 AM »
According to the numbers off Kaiser-Frazer's Experimental Engineering report on supercharger development and the numbers reported in MOTOR TREND magazine's test of a 1954 Manhattan, overall numbers are similar to that with the 1954 Dodge Red Ram V-8 in its standard form, although torque curves are different.  It should be noted in the MT case, the car given them was set-up in advance by the LA office of Kaiser-Willys so it was optimum condition.

For purposes of judging, all 1954-55 Kaiser Manhattans were factory equipped with blowers.