Author Topic: DARRIN CARBURETOR  (Read 8845 times)

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
DARRIN CARBURETOR
« on: October 02, 2008, 08:18:24 AM »
Good morning! Just when I thought things were under control...  I have a stock (?) Carter YF 1 bbl. with #787SB stamped in it, on my Darrin. It's no longer working! It has been rebuilt twice, and it still doesn't work. The engine seems to be running very lean (it will run with the choke almost closed). Question - does anyone know of a replacement? Is this even the factory carb? I would like to replace the carb with a new unit, if possible. Any advice is welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks, Gary.

Weaz

• Specials RULE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: DARRIN CARBURETOR
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 07:24:24 PM »
That's the stock carburetor. It's a Willys engine, 161 cubic inches. I bet you could find one at a Willys site like Northstar Willys or on eBay. Not sure what would make that model of YF carb Darrin specific, but that carburetor is fairly common.
KFOCI #9798

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 08:27:25 PM »
The correct carburetor for a Darrin is a Carter 2094S. The correct replacement unit is available...but isn't cheap! You can try Rudy Phillips...his phone number is posted elsewhere on this site.

Weaz

• Specials RULE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 11:00:19 PM »
So, what is it that makes the 2094S any different than any other Carter YF? Is it just the number stamped on it?

I'm not trying to be a smart***, I really want to know.
KFOCI #9798

Chris Luecht

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Jaxcham2
    • View Profile
    • Willow Run KF Parts - NOS, NEW, & USED Parts for Kaiser, Frazer, Henry J, & Darrin
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 11:46:24 AM »
The Carter 2094S is a YF Down-Draft model carb, but each one, based on model #, has different settings, dimensions, etc as far as primary and secondary venturi, metering rods, etc.  Not sure what the actual differences are between each model, but the 2094S is designed specifically for the Darrin engine and is the #'s matching carb to install for judging, etc. 
Regards,
Chris
Christopher Luecht
KFOCI Life Member LM8866
Webmaster: http://www.kfclub.com
Email: webmaster@kfclub.com

Willow Run KF Parts
http://www.KFparts.com

Weaz

• Specials RULE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 12:14:11 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up for me.
KFOCI #9798

kaiservagabond

• MSN Messenger - kvagabond@geusnet.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 10:21:28 AM »
This article regarding the Carbuetor was indeed enlightening.  I'm not at the shop at the moment but will check the carb on my "D" that I'm restoring.  Just in case I need a different one I've contacted 2 places here, one that rebuilds Carb's and another that has antique car parts.  No answer from either yet.  I looked in the Manual 2000 and it shows 2 interchanable units, 1 being a #924S & the other a #2071S and if yors isn't a show car to be jusged, either could work.  Just thought I'd thro this in.

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 08:34:01 AM »
Happy Monday!! This carburetor thing is amazing! After an extensive search (several weeks, and hours on the phone and internet), with not much luck, I recently installed a Carter Ball & Ball which came from a barn full of parts we are cleaning out. The Darrin runs like brand new! I'm still looking for the proper carb, but at least she runs for now. I appreciate all the info on this site, fascinating!

Gary.

kfoc751

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 06:48:20 PM »
I found this tidbit about 2094 for the Darrin... Thanks Jon for posting this.

It help me understand my flooding problem. Also related is fuel pump pressure. Orielly sells two for the 161 ci engine. One is 2.5 pounds and the other is 5 pounds. The Darrin needs the 5 pound unit.

I am still trying to figure this all out.

Jon said...
It is a unique carburetor, as it has a 1 5/16 main venturi, on a S.A.E. size 2 frame (ALL other Carter YF's with the 1 5/16 venturi are built on the S.A.E. size 3 frame.

My information shows the Darrin to be a 161 CID 6. Kaiser's standard 161 CID 6 used the S.A.E. size 2 frame, but the main venturi was 1 1/4 rather than 1 5/16 (1/16 smaller). These, while not common, are available. I believe the standard carb would work, but would somewhat reduce the power of the Darrin engine at W.O.T.

Jon.

kfoc751

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 01:48:14 PM »
The 5 psi unit has a vacuum assembly on top and the in and out ports are at different locations. See a picture before you buy at parts store.

kfoc751

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 10:53:13 PM »
Most have disappeared as they evidently have been modified with yf throttle bases and choke top assemblies by kit re builders... Who thought there was nothing unique about them.

Just my guess.

kfoc751

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 08:03:54 PM »
Jake ,  what is the number on the body of this carburetor? Does the Darrin air cleaner fit and allow the hood to close?

Sorry for all the questions.

Richard

kfoc751

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 06:42:14 PM »
What happens if you mistakenly put a 4 cylinder hurricane carburetor on a 6 cylinder hurricane engine?

Does it start? Does the 6 cylinder engine run. Does it run so lean it has no power?

Or... Does it make no difference?

I am just curious... Because it may be so easy to put a four cylinder kit in a six cylinder carburetor body... Isn't it?

Any guesses?

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 06:56:27 PM »
If you install the Carter YF 820 (four cylinder version) on a 6, it will start and run. Not much power and acceleration is poor. I have done it.
I had one fellow tell me the only difference was the diameter of some of the nozzles and that he took his welding torch clearers and widened them and it worked fine. This is second hand info, I did not experience this part myself.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

kfoc751

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 08:43:54 PM »
Fid,  thanks a million for the validation. I kind of thought so... But,  there is nothing like corroborated evidence.
Rj