Author Topic: Front wheel alignement  (Read 1724 times)

Swiss

• Adrian Birrer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Front wheel alignement
« on: April 27, 2011, 06:21:20 AM »
Since my front tires improperly weared out (right shoulder profile used up first), I need to re-align the front wheels. The guy in the shop says he just can do it with proper data for the adjustments. In the KF shopmanual for the K51, page 164 to 168 I can get some information about how to do it. But I cannot find any proper data information, except certain figures in degrees (like on page 165 point c. Caster checking and adjustment, saying "desired reading is zero with plus or minus 1 degree permissible). Since I do not have the original camber and caster gauge (see page 165, Fig. 246) I cannot be sure if this alignement description is still usable today. Anybody from you can give me some data about the subject? Thanks a lot, Kaiserly, Adrian from Bülach, Switzerland (Member 6103)
Adrian Birrer
KFOCI # 6103
Switzerland Europe
K51 Deluxe Europe Edition & K52 Manhattan Rotterdam built

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Front wheel alignement
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 10:29:02 PM »
Caster and camber are universal attributes of automobile wheels and can be measured with universal tools. Camber is the tilt of the tire from vertical, measured in degrees.  Caster is the tilt of the king pin from vertical, but is measured by taking measurements with the wheel pointed at two different angles.

I bought a small universal caster/camber gauge from J C Whitney eons ago, and have always used it to keep my cars in adjustment. To my knowledge there is nothing special about the Kaiser tools. Prior to this I had it done at garages, and they always just used the same equipment they did for other cars. On occasion when I way away from home I seem to recall using a level and protractor the check things.

Similarly, toe in can be measured with very simple tools, being just the degree to which the planes of the front wheels converge or diverge.

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 05:14:22 AM »
Adrien,

I have enjoyed seeing the pictures of your lovely car. I cannot remember offhand if you are using bias tires still, or if you are using radial tires. It does make a small difference, as radials have to be just a bit 'flatter' on the road, and 'toe in' should be reduced, I think. If bias, then the manuel is fine. If radials, someone with more knowledge of the small change required can add their comments.
KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard

Swiss

• Adrian Birrer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 06:19:42 AM »
Thanks Jim and dpledger for your input. I use a whitewall tyre from BF Goodrich Silverton w/w 6.70-15 tubeless 4-ply which is to my knowledge still a bias type tyre. Runs smooth, I can recommend it. Since the right shoulder of the right front tyre is wore out, I guess this just needs a few turns on the linkage to adjust that. I guess I just have once to install a gauge and try to find some solution based on the figures I get.   
Adrian Birrer
KFOCI # 6103
Switzerland Europe
K51 Deluxe Europe Edition & K52 Manhattan Rotterdam built