Author Topic: Manufacturing of parts  (Read 10449 times)

ind. controls

• View Profile
    • Email
Manufacturing of parts
« on: August 15, 2011, 07:39:52 AM »
Hello group,

I am an enigneer for a manufacturing company and I have been toying with the idea of making some limited runs of replacement parts, specifically small rubber parts (gromets, gaskets, etc.).
I do not want to get into anything like windshield gaskets or anything like that, but I do have the capacity to mold a high tech silicone rubber into parts that will resemble the originals but last much longer as well as make cut gaskets from foam rubber.
I am also toying with the idea of reproducing cloth covered wiring - only in a silicone insulated wire with a fiberglass outer braid that resembles the cloth covering. I would love to have some samples if someone is willing to cut some wiring out of a parts car for me.
As for the other products, there would obvioulsy have to be some meaningful need for a reasonable qty and I would have to have at least a semi-surviving sample.
JD

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Manufacturing of parts
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 04:54:15 AM »
I would suggest contacting Adam Harder, current head of the Manufacturing Fund for possibilities.

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 08:59:28 AM »
There are quite a few small parts which might be a good fit. Of course, "certain taillight lens" would lead the way!

Not to replace the Manufacturing Fund, but perhaps working with the Manufacturing Fund to see what could be done, find good examples of rare bits, and to market the parts afterwards.
KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard

ind. controls

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 11:43:03 AM »
Thanks.
           I currently have the capacity to stamp sponge rubber gaskets and mold silicone rubber parts as well as the whole wire thing. I can mold and extrude plastic, but a taillight lense is not something I have tried yet. Ideally a lens would be best injection molded and not cast... I will ponder on it and see what can be done.

JD

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 01:40:29 PM »
A few years ago, there was a company in the Northeast that developed a method to produce short-run (less than 5000 shots) graphite based tooling for die casting and it worked as long as you used ZA10 alloy.  Cost for a small but intricate part was around 10-20,000 dollars.  Is there something similar these days for injection molding plastic (material temp and pressure could be similar?) because the tooling cost is the killer.  Actual run of tail lights would probably be around 100 sets or so. 

As I understand it, the 10 or so sets of 1951 Frazer tail lights were core boxed rather than injection moulded and were run out at cost.

Yes, I have about 15 years of die casting and 3 years of sand foundry casting experience making things from handles for Amana microwave ovens to the Trim Parts and Danchuck reproduction 1957 Chevy center grille bars (different tooling for each company) up to 3.0 Duratec Ford engine blocks.

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 09:21:36 PM »
An item that might fit your mfg. process in the accelerator to floor board accordion boot, to stop engine smells from entering the passenger compartment.

ind. controls

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 03:11:07 PM »
That sounds like a possibility, any chance you have a sample ?
JD

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 04:04:21 PM »
The accelerator boot is the same as used in International Harvestor school buses, and I assume their larger trucks, for many years. The last I checked...about 2 years ago...the part was still a current item.

Here's one for a 58 Chev that looks real close to the IH one I have...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1958-58-CHEVROLET-ACCELERATOR-PEDAL-ROD-BOOT-USA-NEW-/290526762797?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a4be972d
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 04:09:04 PM by joefrazer »

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 04:34:37 PM »
I believe one of the club vendors is already selling them.
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 10:22:04 PM »
The '51 Frazer taillight lenses have been reproduced again already: http://kfclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,3222.0.html

I believe the '51 Frazer grille emblem should be a candidate.
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

BobWolterbeek

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 10:11:06 AM »
For a long time I've been looking for the boot that goes at the base of the steering/gear shift columns where they go through the floor. If you made them I'd buy one in a second.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 01:05:39 PM »
John Parker and now Rudy Phillips have been reproducing those for years. See my reply on the other thread.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 09:23:54 PM »
the correct base for the fender mounted antenna on all models. All replacement antennas are universal. Could sell these thru fund

ind. controls

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Manufacturing of parts / Rubber
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 03:58:30 PM »
OK - Houston, we have liftoff !!!!    After about a zillion formulations, we have a working prototype and patent search is underway.
I need some help in practical application / testing - I need some volunteers (how's your modeling skills ??)

Description of the product - "ERubber" is a proprietary rubber blend of silicone rubbers and other materials that is uncured. It has the consitency of modeling clay. The material can easily be formed into almost any shape by hand, use of a rolling pin, razor knife or butter knife, use a piece of tubing to cut round holes through, etc. The material can be used to make gaskets, gromets, caps, seals, it will even adhere to other materials (even metal) when cured. You can mold it by hand onto a machine screw, cure it and have a rubber bumper. The material may even be used to repair other rubber parts by molding it on to the existing part and curing.
The cure process is heat. An industrial heat gun on medium setting works best. A hair dryer can be used on high, basically anything over 120 degrees F will begin cure, more heat - less time, less heat - more time. Open flame MUST NOT be used to cure the part. Be careful not to overheat other objects when curing !! 
The material will cure to a rubber that is about 78 durometer - about the same as a "superball", you can actually make a superball out of it.
To date I have made gromets for my Kaiser and my 39 Olds, I made the gas tank fill ring where it passes through the fender on my ratrod, we have been making gaskets, seals, the belt that holds the fire extinguisher in the bracket, band that secures the battery in place on a motorcycle, rubber buttons, rubber feet, body plugs, Antenna bushings, hood bumpers, and hundreds of other items that are not automotive.
I figure - who better than you guys to test this stuff - It really comes down to your imagination or need to produce a part as well as your modeling skills - who's better with models than us car guys ??
Here's the deal - I need people to use this stuff and tell me about it - better yet - post it to YouTube. Shoot me a message and I will send you some to try for free (we aren't even selling it yet). Yes - I'll pay to get it to you as well, just promise to help make it famous - post a video of you trying it.
John
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 04:01:31 PM by ind. controls »

ind. controls

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 06:14:11 PM »