Author Topic: Electric Fuel Pumps  (Read 3110 times)

Mac_Frazer

• Retired, Time to enjoy the Hobby. #10315
    • View Profile
    • Email
Electric Fuel Pumps
« on: August 31, 2011, 10:12:11 AM »
Hello All,
I've searched this website, AACA website, and googled till my fingers bled for information on fuel pumps.

My electric fuel pump died, (I suspect from sitting idle for a long period of time, and ethanol gas) however my search for fuel pumps has been somewhat unsettling.

So I'm in search of a 6V inline electric pump, +ground. I've located a Airtex E8011, AC Delco EP11, and Carter P4259.
Questions;
1. I assume all these are solenoids, as I understand that's the preferred kind, over bellows or a vane type.
2. As I've read, I will probably need a pressure regulator, what I'm finding online doesn't seem to make sense, as these are bigger than the fuel pump, is there a recommended type? I understand the pressure to the carb should be less than 4lbs.

So I'm open to any and all suggestions. thanks in advance. Steve
Steve McKee
47 Frazer Manhattan, only project now!!😉

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Electric Fuel Pumps
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 11:19:20 AM »
I would check with the Studebaker folk as well. Earlier car fuel pressure is lower than modern, and 6 volt cars were generally lower (a bit) than early 12 volt cars, as a generalization. Something in the range of just over 2 to about 4 pounds is the range of KF vehicles (I think) I seem to recall that Carter P4259 6 volt has had more thumbs up from Kaiser and Studebaker people, and just as is. Unfortunately for me, it is not available in Canada :( :( :(
KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard

custom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 12:03:34 PM »
'48 Kaiser Custom
'49 Kaiser Vagabond

Mac_Frazer

• Retired, Time to enjoy the Hobby. #10315
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 06:29:54 PM »

Thanks for the link Custom,  the one I took off the Frazer, is AC-1186, Model 6V95FP11, so wondering if you or anyone else has seen this type of pump. The Napa Store says they have one. But no specs as to the pressure output, I'm assuming its 6V+. So wondering if the link is better way to go since it seems to be tailored to the Frazer. Price is definitely cheaper. Sorry, don't have a lot of experience with electric pumps, so using the forum to that advantage. :-\

Steve McKee
47 Frazer Manhattan, only project now!!😉

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 07:17:09 PM »
Do a search on this forum for other threads about the correct fuel pump and other hints. 

lessthan8

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 07:19:44 PM »
Steve, I have a nos  AC EP-11 6psi, if interested phone 270-474-0122aftedr 5pm cst.