Author Topic: ampco oiler  (Read 2881 times)

stroker70

• View Profile
    • Email
ampco oiler
« on: October 08, 2011, 07:59:01 PM »
I just added an Ampco oiler to my Dragon. I don't know if its worth the trouble, but I think its a cool looking, period correct accessory. It uses Marvel Mystery Oil to allegedly lubricate the upper cylinders, valves,valve guides, valve seats.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: ampco oiler
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »
Interesting. What does an oiler do?
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 09:37:48 PM »
As the term 'top oiler" implies, it was intended to circulate lubricating oil to areas of the engine that were at the far end of the oil galleries/passages in a motor.  They are intended to extend engine life by keeping moving parts and surfaces coated so they produce less friction and do not get damaged due to heat. 

The only thing to note is that oilers were intended only for specialized applications..stationary engines that ran at steady speeds and may not get full lubrication or coolant flow, operations in higher temperatures on a consistent basis, and so on.  If cars really needed it in all situations either it would have been part of the original engine design or the factory would have offered them as dealer-installed accessories.

stroker70

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 10:19:05 AM »
One added bonus that I have noticed is the spacer plate between the manifold and carburetor has lowered the temperature of the carburetor either by insulating with the extra gaskets or acting as a heat sink. That's a good thing as I noticed the fuel in the glass filter would start to bubble or boil after shut off before installation.

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 11:18:29 PM »
So where did you get the element for the gasoline filter, Stroker70?  I have been looking online and at the parts shops for one for my fuel pump mounted one.
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 07:07:18 AM »
If NAPA doesn't have them in stock, they're available from many parts suppliers such as CASCO, www.classictbird.com, for $6. The complete assembly is $20.

Gary.

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 12:30:08 AM »
Thanks!  I'll call 'em and check it out.  I found the link to order one, I just need the element.
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988